SSD HDD Question

elyo

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
My question is, What defines a good SSD hard drive, whats the stats i should be looking for
except the obvious GB capacity

elyo

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

so what are a good measure of read/write speed.

I got the ASUS P8P67 PRO B3, Socket-1155 motherboard. got any clue what sata version it has?

popatim

Titan
That board has 4 sata3 and 4 sata6 ports. If the budget allows I would look into one of the higher speed sata6 drives but if not even an older SSD is 10 times faster than a hard drive in actual normal use.

What I look for in an SSD is reliability. I dont care if it transfers 700MB/s if its only going to fail in 2 months. Read lots of reviews. When you find something you like go to the manufuactures forums and see what issues users are porting about and if its been resolved. Often sites like Newegg reviews dont get updated beyond the initial "wow is it fast"

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
It wont matter much when upgrading from a hard drive, cause no matter what you choose, any will "feel" fast, not much diference between.

Havin said that, I also dont find much of a price diference between SATA II and SATA III drives. My current SSD of desire is a Crucial 512GB