First Build - No Post (possible motherboard doa?)

tom sza

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
This is my first post on this forum, so I'll start off by saying "Hello."

Here's what I have:

Processor: i7 2600k
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 (ver 1)
PSU: Cooler Master GX-750W
RAM: Corsair DDR3 16GB (4x4GB)
Video: PNY GeForce GTX 560Ti
SSD: Intel 320 120GB (apps)
HDD: Barracuda Green 1.5TB (project storage)
Case: Cooler Master 912
DVD: Liteon

Assembly and connections were straight forward. PSUs P1 (24 pin) and P2 (4 pin) both have a home. As well as the 2-6 pin power for the video card. Once everything was connected, and turned on the PSU switch, the LED on the keyboard (PS2) turned on then off. And the USB mouse tracking LED turned on. Pressing the case power on switch does nothing (no PSU fan, CPU fan, case fans, and speaker beeps). I performed the 15/16 pin short and switching the unit on its fan starts up. Tested the PSU leads and all outputs are with in tolerances. I performed all the test I found here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems
And still no post, no fans, no beeps. Is there any other test I can do to test the motherboard? Any other suggestions?

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
"Tested the PSU leads and all outputs are with in tolerances. I performed all the test I found here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] o-problems
And still no post, no fans, no beeps. Is there any other test I can do to test the motherboard? Any other suggestions?"
Wow, serious work there you did... :) Too long to go through all problems described in this article, but ever considered that your CPU, RAM or let say videocard may also be dead resulting the same?

tom sza

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011

Yes, there's a small piezo speaker (two leads) plugged into the board above the pins for the power LED. It came with the motherboard.

tom sza

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011

Saturday was a fun filled day of troubleshooting. :) I tried booting using a variety of the four RAM sticks at my disposal. Each stick by itself in slot DDR3_1 and also without any RAM to see if it would boot with a memory error. I did the breadboard technique with only CPU/F. Still, nothing kick starts the PSU. If the CPU were dead, would it still start up the PSU?

nurotikpanda

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Try taking out the video card. I had an overclocked 560ti that fried and my system wouldn't turn on. When I pulled the card out, it would turn on.

tom sza

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011

Yep, I tried that both in the case and during the breadboard technique.

Would it harm anything if I tried to boot it up with only the motherboard (24 pin and 4 pin) plugged in - CPU/F removed? Could this be a way to show if the CPU is at fault? Or will I smoke something?

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Damage - don't think so. But without a CPU - no any chance anithing to happen.

"Try taking out the video card. I had an overclocked 560ti that fried and my system wouldn't turn on. When I pulled the card out, it would turn on."

Turning on without a videocard present in the system - meaning what? - fans start, the mobo is crying out loud, or the system starts? - are U sure U don't have some integrated graphics solution there?

Btw. i think I may remember something similar happening to me once at least - fryed out PSU, fans /including that of the PSU itself/ not turning, but some current still gets to the mobo and the error signaling lights there turning on - only I had never made anithing even close to your check :) - just tryed with another PSU /you may do this even with an old weak PSU, if it has the compatible wires for the mobo, and off the case/.

tom sza

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
After posting on Newegg's forum, I'm going to try a new motherboard. With RMA in hand, I'm continuing the journey of my first build. :lol: