Exceeding the motherboard's "max" CPU support?

cheddar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
I'm trying to upgrade my CPU for an older desktop, just something to get by.

Anyways, my computer says it takes an AM2 socket and will accept up to an X2 4800+

However I'm wondering if it might also accept an X2 6000+ (also AM2)

My computer is here
<http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01050244&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=3436819>

Is it even POSSIBLE to exceed what the manufacture says is your "Max" speed or will it not even work?

If it IS possible, but not recommended, what are some of the dangers?... should I get a really good heatsink?

-Thanks
PS: I upgraded the power supply if that helps any...

Solution
Only use CPUs that are on your boards CPU compatibility list. If a CPU is not on that list, odds are it won't work at all. Best case scenario: the CPU will work, but won't be recognized properly by the BIOS, and will probably run at a slower speed. Either way, it's not worth trying. If you need something better than the X2 4800+, you really should just consider a new build altogether, Athlon 64 X2 is getting extremely dated by today's standards.
Only use CPUs that are on your boards CPU compatibility list. If a CPU is not on that list, odds are it won't work at all. Best case scenario: the CPU will work, but won't be recognized properly by the BIOS, and will probably run at a slower speed. Either way, it's not worth trying. If you need something better than the X2 4800+, you really should just consider a new build altogether, Athlon 64 X2 is getting extremely dated by today's standards.

Solution

cheddar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Thanks for the info, doesn't sound like trying to get some incompatible (and still outdated) CPU is the solution, huh?

Yeah I know I really should ditch the PC and get a new one :( Just trying to get by for a little while longer... it's not worth paying a few hundred bucks for a decent PC when I can upgrade the one I have to get by for $30... Not for a broke college student anyway :D

A new question I have is if my computer will even function if I DO buy an X2 4800+ because according to this article
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284127-28-want-compatible-computer
It sounds like the only CPUs that will work FOR SURE is the exact one that came with it...

Because the PC is an OEM...

If I DO buy an X2 4800+ off ebay or what have you, is there a chance it won't even be compatible? (even though it says it supports it on the compaq webpage)?

cheddar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

My motherboard is a MCP61PM-HM (Iris)...

I just learned however that my AM2 socket is ALSO compatible with the line of Phenom processors... meaning that I could hypothetically upgrade to a Phenom X4 9350e which also is 65 watt...

Only thing is the BIOS...

Can I mod it?... or how do I know if an update is available (I already checked the HP site, it has an upgrade, but I still don't know if it'll support the phenom)...

Would be SO awesome if I could upgrade to a phenom X4! :bounce:

If the Phenoms are not on the CPU compatibility list for your board, they probably won't work. Unlisted CPUs will not be recognized properly by the HP BIOS. If a Phenom X4 is on the compatibility list, get the BIOS revision that supports it, it should be listed right next to the CPU model.

cheddar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Ok, I'm looking everywhere I can for the info for the BIOS compatibility list for my PC but I don't see it... it's not right next to the CPU model...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01050244&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=3436819#N79

The only thing I know of that DOES tell me about my BIOS revision is on the HP site, they have a BIOS update and it gives me the revision (5.27)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-66756-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=2093&product=3436819&sw_lang=

But it doesn't mention anything about what CPUs the BIOS supports...

Is there another website where I can find out more about the 5.27 rev of this BIOS?

While there isn't a list, under the CPU upgrade information on the computer's support details page, it does say that it is only compatible with the Semprons and the Athlon 64 x2 up to the 4800+. The 4800+ is the best you are going to get on that computer. If this wasn't a prebuilt machine, you might have had more options with socket AM2. However, it is not in the best interests of the OEMs to make their machines upgradeable, they want you to buy a new one, so they don't provide BIOS updates for newer CPUs. Like I said above, if you need anything better than the 4800+ you're going to have to bite the bullet and save up for a new machine.