Solved

Chances of Unlocking Phenom II x2 555 to Phenom II x4 955

What are the chances of unlocking the dual core to a quad core with a GA-990FX mobo?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about chances unlocking phenom phenom
  1. If it is unlock able then that board will do it as well as any other board that supports unlock! (it is depending on the CPU)
  2. Should I go for Phenom II 555 w/ Gigabyte 990FX UD3 or Phenom II 840 w/ Asrock 970 extreme4? they both cost almost the same price.
  3. You are guaranteed a quad if you go with the 840! You might get lucky with the X2 but you might get stuck with a X2. The FX board is though feature rich and will be good if at later date you plan to upgrade to bulldozer.
  4. My current CPU is a core 2 quad q9300 so I would be downgrading if I went from quad to dual....... On other hand 955 > q9300 and 990 > 970. The question is, should I take the risk? I'll benefit greatly if it works out, on the other hand, I'll actually be DOWNGRADING if unsuccessful. Well, I plan on upgrading to Bulldozer in about 6 months after I make this system. So should I just go with 555?
  5. Best answer
    If you are doing a stop gap (I just did one with a 970 and X3 450) taking the change on the Phenom II 555BE makes sense. Remember it overclocks easy.
  6. Best answer selected by samuelspark.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Quad Core Dual Core Phenom