ATI HDMI Audio 'Not Plugged In'

deebal

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Hi all,

I've been cracking my head for the past couple of hours on the caption issue, but I'm thinking someone here might be able to help: I've just upgraded my Dell xps 8100 graphics card from gts 240 to an XFX hd 5770 (Single Slot). The xfx card has no hdmi port but a dual dvi port and a displayport. So I had to use a dvi-hdmi adapter from the card to a samsung hdmi port. The issue now is that I am only getting video signals. A cursory probe revealed that my realtek hdmi output is showing that the card's hdmi audio is not plugged in. This issue was non-existent in my gts 240 card even though the nvidia card also had no hdmi port. I guess this rules out the possibility of an issue with my tv or the hdmi cable as they were all working flawlessly before I changed the card. I am not too sure about the dvi/hdmi adapter though.

I noticed while I was changing the cards that the gts 240 card hard a cable connection from the pc mobo directly to the card whereas the xfx card hard no such provision. What I did with the cable after installation? I simply rolled it up nicely in the chassis in a way that even Dell themselves would be proud of. Could this be where I shot myself in the leg? Dunno honestly...

I have already sent a request to xfx to send me a dvi/hdmi adapter as none came with their product.

I'll appreciate any help/suggestion..btw, I'm solid when it comes to following clear instructions.

PC Specs: Dell (Gosh!) xps 8100, 8gb ram, 2TB hdd, i7 860 cpu, blu ray drive, 350w psu (not an issue), wireless and tv cards

Are you using the correct port ? The cards will carry an audio signal over HDMI via the adapter but i believe it only works on the main port which i think is the top one.
You then need to have the cards audio selected in the Audio properties.
Im not 100% sure but that is what i beleive to be the case.

Mactronix :)

deebal

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011

Thanks Mactronix. I've swapped the ports around several times with no success. besides, the dual dvi ports on the card are parallel with no one on top of another. I've also checked out my audio properties and the bingo is that the realtek hdmi output for the ATi hdmi audio is showing as not plugged in and therefore greyed out.

deebal

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011

Thanks mate! Pls where can I get this adapter to buy? I've been googling for a couple of hours now without success. Thanks once again!

One usually comes with the card. If not, then I think you are out of luck, as they are not typically sold speratly. You could try harrasing the cards manufacurer and try to get them to ship you one...

You could also try a Displayport to HDMI conversion, which should also work...

deebal

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
thanks a treat! I am currently harrassing both the seller and the manufacturer simultaneously . Hopefully something positive will come out of it. Thanks!

leon2006

Distinguished

Take note of the following. I have 3 4890s and they all work w/ HDMI Audio/Video:
1) Use ATI provided DVI/HDMI Converter. That's the only one that works. When i got my cards i tried different brands none work.
2) Call XFX and they will mail you the converter at no cost. My cards are from DiamondMM i called and 3 days after it. DiamondMM provided 2 for each card since i have dual monitors for each. Although a pair is configured as CF. I ended up with 6 converters. Only 4 are used since the 2nd card on CF has no connection.

Video cards are to provide you with the following:
HDMI Cable
DVI/HDMI Converter
for new cards Display Port Converter

Just call the vendor and they may ask for you to register the card. Give it 3 days for the mail.

These things are standard. They shipped boards w/o it but inside the box there is note/coupon w/ instructions how to request one.

3) When fitted with DVI/HDMI converter(From ATI) the audio comes out on the designated "PRIMARY DISPLAY". You want audio to the 2nd DVI port designate it as PRIMARY DISPLAY (Don't forget to attached the converter".

Take note audio can be available on any of the 2 DVI port... But one at a time only

deebal

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Thanks for your input. Still awaiting response from the seller and XFX. I guess if they don't provide the adapters, I'll be compelled to return the card. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS