Any Advantage in Upgrading i5 750 for Non Gamer?

I do a lot of video processing of home HD video and backing up and reencoding Blue ray collection to my hard drives. Also a lot of Raw still image photography in my business. I also hate slow computers and my system has delays sometimes even thought I just reinstalled W7. I am getting ready to buy an SSD to install and thought it might be a good time to build another system as my current HP built i5 750 is 2 years old. I can sell my old one to a friend to offset some of the costs, but of course I don't want to waste money if you guys with more experience think it is.
5 answers Last reply
More about advantage upgrading gamer
  1. Check what is your bottleneck first in the task manager or other program: is it cpu or maybe the amount of ram during video processing
    Then check in Tom's charts how much a newer cpu gain can give you in video/image work compared to your i5 750
    depending on your mobo/socket it might be worth to change just the processor and add ram. Used cpu's off ebay should be good value for money as always :)
  2. Thanks. I'll look into it.
  3. Boils down to the amount of ram your system has for your described purposes.
    With the price of ram these days that's the first thing i would upgrade on the cheap.
    I don't know your specs but 16 GB of ram is certainly much better then 4GB for video and photo work.
    Upgrading an i5 750 to something else like an i7 8xx is a complete waste of money on an 1156 platform,considering what your needs are.
    I think you would see benefits replacing 2GB ram sticks with 4GB modules.
    Some research is involved on your end as to the capabilities of your oem HP boards ram limitations/specs.
  4. av8r said:
    I do a lot of video processing of home HD video and backing up and reencoding Blue ray collection to my hard drives. Also a lot of Raw still image photography in my business. I also hate slow computers and my system has delays sometimes even thought I just reinstalled W7. I am getting ready to buy an SSD to install and thought it might be a good time to build another system as my current HP built i5 750 is 2 years old. I can sell my old one to a friend to offset some of the costs, but of course I don't want to waste money if you guys with more experience think it is.

I suspect that there is some advantage in changing. It really depends on what you do, and what your current bottlenecks are.

If you have a cpu processing limitation, then consider a sandy bridge cpu.
    They are some 20% more efficient per clock, and they can oc higher with a 2500K or 2600K cpu.
    They also enable "quick sync" which uses the integrated graphics engine to greatly improve video edititn. I am no expert there, so do your research to see if it would apply to you.

If you have 64 bit enabled apps, then you can use ram to hold some part of workfiles and reduce i/o time. Photoshop is one such app.
    Ram is cheap today, so 16gb might be very good.

If i/o is a problem, then No question a SSD will help. Everything you do will seem quicker.
    A ssd is 50x faster in random i/o, and 2-3x faster in sequential i/o compared to a fast hard drive.
    If your work will fit on a ssd, there is nothing faster.
    Expect to pay $2 per gb. 60gb will hold the os and a bit, but 80gb to 120gb will be better so you can hold some apps and work space.
    Today, Intel and Samsung seem to be the best for reliability. All ssd's will perform about the same as far as what you can tell. Only benchmarks show real differences, but benchmarks do not reflect what we actually do.
  5. Thanks again for the input. My system currently has 8 Gb of RAM, and I thought that was sufficient, although I can easily bump it to 16gb. The last 2 replies seemed to disagree on upgrading the i5 750 which is pretty expensive anyway. I am on a 64 system, but I'll have to check the apps to see if they are 64 bit enabled. I use mostly Pinnacle Studio and BDRebuilde/ANYDVDHD for for my video editing.

I'm not really tech savvy enough to figure out where my bottleneck is. I know how to see task manager, but I can't interpret it. And also, my setup is by no means terrible, I just would like it to be as efficient as possible. I am also limited by the HP oem board, but I know I can go to 16gb of RAM. I will never again buy a box pc. I will go back to building them with the help of a friend, but that won't be for another year or two.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Video Intel i5