Your question

New build won't boot at all - P8Z68-V pro/gen3

Tags:
  • Asus
  • New Build
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
June 30, 2012 6:56:19 PM

Hi everyone, I just put together a new build - my first in several years - and I cannot get the system to boot. When I power on, the fans spin, the memory and cpu led's flash, and then the power cuts and and it restarts. This cycle carries on indefinitely until I turn the power off. No video out at any point.

Specs are;

hdd - OCZ 64gb SSD
Mobo - asus p8z68-v pro/gen3
CPU - intel i5-3570k
Ram - 8gb Corsair vengeance1600mhz (2x4gb) DDR3
PSU 650w Corsair (from old build)
GPU - Geforce gtx 240 (from old build)

So far I have
- checked and double checked all wires are connected correctly.
- tried booting with 1 stick of ram only, in all the different slots, and checking both sticks separately. No change.
-tried booting with no ram - this led to the ram check led coming on and the system didn't restart or lose power, obviously it didn't help though.
-tried booting without the GPU, or the hard drive connected. No change.
- tried breadboarding, no change whatsoever.
Checked the cpu/hsf is fitted correctly
- tried resetting the CMOS using the jumper and removing the battery
- tried praying to the old gods and the new.
- ripped out all my hair.
- cried.

I know that the power supply is working fine, and should be more then enough to power this rig. I also checked the compatibility of the components beforehand and both the ram and cpu should be compatible with the mobo.

Any help or suggestions would be very welcome.

Cheers!

More about : build boot p8z68 pro gen3

a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2012 7:16:58 PM

if that mobo's bios isn't flashed, then that's the problem. not all z68 mobos innately are compatible with ivy bridge until you flash the bios.
June 30, 2012 7:19:59 PM

thanks for the quick response. Bit of a newb question, but with my situation how can I flash the BIOS? is it possible to do if I can't even get into the BIOS settings?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2012 7:21:18 PM

the only way you can flash the bios is get access to a sandy bridge processor. until that happens, you really cant do anything.

the choices essentially:

1. Buy a current gen mobo and return the last gen one.
2. Borrow a sandy bridge processor
3. Buy a sandy bridge processor
4. Return the 3570k and get a 2500k
June 30, 2012 7:24:43 PM

well that's me screwed then :s thanks anyway dude
July 27, 2012 12:47:59 PM

Hi rossm, I got a same problem like yours. Can u tell me how you fix yours or did you really buy a sandy bridge cpu? :( 
July 27, 2012 12:58:28 PM

nofries6688 said:
Hi rossm, I got a same problem like yours. Can u tell me how you fix yours or did you really buy a sandy bridge cpu? :( 

Hey dude, It is a really annoying issue, but if you have a good pc store near you it's easy to fix. I took the motherboard to the nearest PC technicians, told them I needed the BIOS updated to the newest version and they did it overnight for me. Works like a charm now!

I don't know where you're based but I live in the Czech republic and used a company called 'alza' which is basically like PC world in the Uk or whatever the US equivilent is. They charged me 100kc which is basically 3.5 GBP or $4.

Hope this helps?

Big thanks to dudewitbow for solving this for me though - I looked everywhere before he helped me out!
July 27, 2012 1:09:07 PM

dudewitbow said:
the only way you can flash the bios is get access to a sandy bridge processor. until that happens, you really cant do anything.

the choices essentially:

Hey dude, I should have written this sooner but life is hectic... Just wanted to say a big thanks for providing the solution to my little problem. My new build is up and running (and kicking a***) :) 

Cheers!
July 30, 2012 1:01:38 AM

Hi rossm,

Thank you so much your reply. I am living in Las Vegas, Nevada. There have some PC repair around But I decided to return it to ASUS to fix it. Because it still under warranty or I may try to borrow a "sandy bridge" cpu to try unpdate the BOIS.

Thanks again.
April 4, 2014 8:06:57 AM

dudewitbow said:

the choices essentially:

I have the same issue and I'm asking a BIOS chip supplier to send me a pre loaded flashed chip for using with Ivy's. It's £8 as at April 2014