Sign in with
Your question

New build won't boot at all - P8Z68-V pro/gen3

Last response: in Motherboards
June 30, 2012 6:56:19 PM

Hi everyone, I just put together a new build - my first in several years - and I cannot get the system to boot. When I power on, the fans spin, the memory and cpu led's flash, and then the power cuts and and it restarts. This cycle carries on indefinitely until I turn the power off. No video out at any point.

Specs are;

hdd - OCZ 64gb SSD
Mobo - asus p8z68-v pro/gen3
CPU - intel i5-3570k
Ram - 8gb Corsair vengeance1600mhz (2x4gb) DDR3
PSU 650w Corsair (from old build)
GPU - Geforce gtx 240 (from old build)

So far I have
- checked and double checked all wires are connected correctly.
- tried booting with 1 stick of ram only, in all the different slots, and checking both sticks separately. No change.
-tried booting with no ram - this led to the ram check led coming on and the system didn't restart or lose power, obviously it didn't help though.
-tried booting without the GPU, or the hard drive connected. No change.
- tried breadboarding, no change whatsoever.
Checked the cpu/hsf is fitted correctly
- tried resetting the CMOS using the jumper and removing the battery
- tried praying to the old gods and the new.
- ripped out all my hair.
- cried.

I know that the power supply is working fine, and should be more then enough to power this rig. I also checked the compatibility of the components beforehand and both the ram and cpu should be compatible with the mobo.

Any help or suggestions would be very welcome.

Cheers!

a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2012 7:16:58 PM

if that mobo's bios isn't flashed, then that's the problem. not all z68 mobos innately are compatible with ivy bridge until you flash the bios.
June 30, 2012 7:19:59 PM

thanks for the quick response. Bit of a newb question, but with my situation how can I flash the BIOS? is it possible to do if I can't even get into the BIOS settings?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2012 7:21:18 PM

the only way you can flash the bios is get access to a sandy bridge processor. until that happens, you really cant do anything.

the choices essentially:

1. Buy a current gen mobo and return the last gen one.
2. Borrow a sandy bridge processor
3. Buy a sandy bridge processor
4. Return the 3570k and get a 2500k
June 30, 2012 7:24:43 PM

well that's me screwed then :s thanks anyway dude
July 27, 2012 12:47:59 PM

Hi rossm, I got a same problem like yours. Can u tell me how you fix yours or did you really buy a sandy bridge cpu? :( 
July 27, 2012 12:58:28 PM

nofries6688 said:
Hi rossm, I got a same problem like yours. Can u tell me how you fix yours or did you really buy a sandy bridge cpu? :( 

Hey dude, It is a really annoying issue, but if you have a good pc store near you it's easy to fix. I took the motherboard to the nearest PC technicians, told them I needed the BIOS updated to the newest version and they did it overnight for me. Works like a charm now!

I don't know where you're based but I live in the Czech republic and used a company called 'alza' which is basically like PC world in the Uk or whatever the US equivilent is. They charged me 100kc which is basically 3.5 GBP or $4.

Hope this helps?

Big thanks to dudewitbow for solving this for me though - I looked everywhere before he helped me out!
July 27, 2012 1:09:07 PM

dudewitbow said:
the only way you can flash the bios is get access to a sandy bridge processor. until that happens, you really cant do anything.

the choices essentially:

Hey dude, I should have written this sooner but life is hectic... Just wanted to say a big thanks for providing the solution to my little problem. My new build is up and running (and kicking a***) :) 

Cheers!
July 30, 2012 1:01:38 AM

Hi rossm,

Thank you so much your reply. I am living in Las Vegas, Nevada. There have some PC repair around But I decided to return it to ASUS to fix it. Because it still under warranty or I may try to borrow a "sandy bridge" cpu to try unpdate the BOIS.

Thanks again.
April 4, 2014 8:06:57 AM

dudewitbow said:

the choices essentially:

I have the same issue and I'm asking a BIOS chip supplier to send me a pre loaded flashed chip for using with Ivy's. It's £8 as at April 2014
!