Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ATI Radeon HD 6870 not detecting monitor when using Dual DVI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 29, 2011 6:33:18 PM

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know why my dual monitor setup is not working? I recently built a new computer (completely new parts). I'm really confused, spent hours on this already.

Facts:
- I have 2 23" Monitors (Acer + Viewsonic)
- These both worked flawlessly, both using DVI, on my nVidia 9800 GT just hours before.
- I built a new computer using ATI Radeon HD 6870 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
- Installed the graphic drivers that came on the CD

Pictures of Grille/HDMI/miniD here of what I'm talking about here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...

- I connected the Acer to the slot (with the grille next to it) and the Viewsonic to the other slot (with the HDMI/minidisplay). Only the Acer shows up. Viewsonic never shows up.
- I switch the connections, ie, Acer to the DVI with HDMI/minidisplay and Viewsonic to the DVI slot with grille next to it. Only the Acer shows up. Viewsonic never shows up.
- The Viewsonic always gets a "Windows beep" indicating some new hardware was attached, but fails to display anything (the blue LED turns on for split second, then turns orange)
- Therefore, I thought the Viewsonic had something wrong, but I connected the Viewsonic DVI to my Macbook Pro and the Viewsonic came to life just as expected. So.... my monitor + cable is ok.
- What has worked (my current solution, though not the ideal solution), is I am using DVI for Acer on the DVI slot with the grille, and I'm using a VGA->DVI adapter on the other DVI slot (with the HDMI/miniD). Odd, very odd I must say. Workable... though not ideal.

Is there something about the HD 6870 that precludes me from using 2 DVI's straight up? There's no useful instruction manual that comes with this. And that would be a sucky card if I can't even simply use 2 DVI monitors.

Thanks for reading all this, and thanks for any suggestions!
April 30, 2011 1:47:05 AM

renwoshin said:
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know why my dual monitor setup is not working? I recently built a new computer (completely new parts). I'm really confused, spent hours on this already.

Facts:
- I have 2 23" Monitors (Acer + Viewsonic)
- These both worked flawlessly, both using DVI, on my nVidia 9800 GT just hours before.
- I built a new computer using ATI Radeon HD 6870 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
- Installed the graphic drivers that came on the CD

Pictures of Grille/HDMI/miniD here of what I'm talking about here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...

- I connected the Acer to the slot (with the grille next to it) and the Viewsonic to the other slot (with the HDMI/minidisplay). Only the Acer shows up. Viewsonic never shows up.
- I switch the connections, ie, Acer to the DVI with HDMI/minidisplay and Viewsonic to the DVI slot with grille next to it. Only the Acer shows up. Viewsonic never shows up.
- The Viewsonic always gets a "Windows beep" indicating some new hardware was attached, but fails to display anything (the blue LED turns on for split second, then turns orange)
- Therefore, I thought the Viewsonic had something wrong, but I connected the Viewsonic DVI to my Macbook Pro and the Viewsonic came to life just as expected. So.... my monitor + cable is ok.
- What has worked (my current solution, though not the ideal solution), is I am using DVI for Acer on the DVI slot with the grille, and I'm using a VGA->DVI adapter on the other DVI slot (with the HDMI/miniD). Odd, very odd I must say. Workable... though not ideal.

Is there something about the HD 6870 that precludes me from using 2 DVI's straight up? There's no useful instruction manual that comes with this. And that would be a sucky card if I can't even simply use 2 DVI monitors.

Thanks for reading all this, and thanks for any suggestions!

Here's how I ended up fixing it: I switched up my Viewsonic with the external of my Macbook Pro. So there's some sort of incompatibility with my Viewsonic 2235 DVI port and Radeon 6870. I'm using the Viewsonic DVI fine with my MBP and new monitor with my new PC.

Best solution

April 30, 2011 1:49:20 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
May 7, 2011 7:20:05 AM

Best answer selected by Renwoshin.
!