Possible to add RAM to maxed out Mobo?

bryanmartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
I have an Asus Sabertooth X58 motherboards which supports, and has installed, 24GB RAM. Is there any way to add more RAM without buying a whole new board and CPU? Is there a way to piggyback RAM or a second motherboard on top of my current setup? I've seen new boards out there that support 64GB of RAM, but that would require a new CPU as they aren't compatable with my i7 990X. With $1,000 invested in my CPU, I don't want to just toss it aside.

bryanmartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011

I'm always getting "computer running low on memory" warnings followed by crashes.

Wow. What programs are you running? There should be absolutely NO reason for that. I'm running 8GB and have NEVER had that message even doing a little video editing. 24GB is a HUGE amount of RAM. There really shouldn't be anything that takes up even a quarter of that normally (and less, usually).

My thought is that it's a Virtual Memory problem. Increase your virtual memory. That shouldn't even be needed, but it SHOULD fix it.

illfindu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Some thing is wrong here We have very high end graphic design stations at work running auto cad on two large monitors with adobe in the back ground that run on less ram then this. Are you seeing a performance lose when you see these messages maybe the message is a bug.

bryanmartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011

My computer is a dedicated video editing workstation. I see these errors when I use Adobe After Effects. This error never happened until I installed an Areca 1882ix-12 RAID controller. Is there a reason this RAID card would eat up memory?

I wouldn't think so, but try upping your virtual memory. That SHOULD fix it.

bryanmartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011

Thanks for that. Still learning here... this is the paging file we're talking about right? How do I determine size? I've tried doing some research, but I find no clear answers.

Yep, it's the Page file and it's usually supposed to be around the same size as the amount of RAM you have, but you can go higher if you need to.

TRENDING THREADS