How many here use laptop as desktop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
June 30, 2005 11:51:20 PM

And what size laptop are you using for this?

Is a 12" display a bit too small to use as a "desktop"
90 percent of the time?

Could I set a 12" laptop on my desk and use a wireless
keyboard and mouse and set back form the laptop a bit
and still "see" everything clear?

More about : laptop desktop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 30, 2005 11:51:21 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 that is awesome. It has a 17" widescreen.
Personally, I would not use anything less than a laptop with a 15" screen.
Or you can simply run a larger monitor off the laptop. I am a firm believer
in getting all the screen real estate you can afford. I use a Samsung
SyncMaster 910T as my monitor for my desktop system, a Dell Dimension 4700.

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> And what size laptop are you using for this?
>
> Is a 12" display a bit too small to use as a "desktop"
> 90 percent of the time?
>
> Could I set a 12" laptop on my desk and use a wireless
> keyboard and mouse and set back form the laptop a bit
> and still "see" everything clear?

July 1, 2005 1:52:54 AM

>I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 that is awesome. It has a 17" widescreen.
>Personally, I would not use anything less than a laptop with a 15" screen.
>Or you can simply run a larger monitor off the laptop. I am a firm believer
>in getting all the screen real estate you can afford. I use a Samsung
>SyncMaster 910T as my monitor for my desktop system, a Dell Dimension 4700.

Thanks for input Kevin!

So you have both a desktop and laptop then?

If yes..... why? Why not just use the 9300 for
everything?

Just curious....
a b D Laptop
July 1, 2005 2:59:37 AM

I have a 12" laptop and what I consider the perfect compromise between
portability and reasonable real state for everyday use. These days I
don't travel alot either, but I take my machine to the couch, garden,
kitchen table, bedroom... anything bigger/heavier and I'd feel like
dragging an anchor.

My desktop is hooked up to my big screen TV and that's where I watch
my DVD, recorded program etc.

If u have only 1 machine and want portability but with a big screen,
just get a resonably size notebook and hook it up to an external
monitor. One of those taking a plug-in hot-docking (don't have to turn
off to undock) docking station would be nice.

---------------
If your business is looking for quick free consulting,
please ignore my replies. I only wish to reply to other
engineers/administrators and home users who are stuck
and not interested to give your business free consulting.

Thank you.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 1, 2005 6:12:31 AM

me@privacy.net wrote in news:cp49c11p4t9496mmqraqrh5f6u17ige592@4ax.com:

> And what size laptop are you using for this?
>
> Is a 12" display a bit too small to use as a "desktop"
> 90 percent of the time?
>
> Could I set a 12" laptop on my desk and use a wireless
> keyboard and mouse and set back form the laptop a bit
> and still "see" everything clear?

My first and current laptop is over two years old. I almost immediately
started using it for everything I do at home. My desktop still stands right
next to me, but is used only for when my adult children are home visiting.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 2650 with a 2ghz P4M, 15 inch display (which
equates to 17 inch monitor).

A couple times, I tried using my desktop's monitor and keyboard, but just
didn't see any advantage to it. I do use a USB mouse when here in this room,
but not when using the laptop anywhere else.

--
Tom McCune
http://www.McCune.cc

>I'm using a Dell Inspiron 2650 with a 2ghz P4M, 15 inch display (which
>equates to 17 inch monitor).

Thanks Tom

So you are finding that the 15" laptop display is good
enough to use the unit as a "desktop" replacement huh?

Here's the scoop. I'm in market for a new PC. Don't
have anything right now

My strong sense of "minimalism" and clutter free life
makes me want to buy a laptop even tho I don't travel
at all.

BUT.... and this is a big but... I spend LONG hrs on
the Net researching, chatting, newsgroups, etc. And I
want something that is ergonomically comfortable.

My thoughts were that I could buy a laptop but also buy
a wireless keyboard and mouse to use with it to give me
more freedom to move around in the room and in the
chair. True?

Good idea?
July 1, 2005 12:39:40 PM

>If u have only 1 machine and want portability but with a big screen,
>just get a resonably size notebook and hook it up to an external
>monitor. One of those taking a plug-in hot-docking (don't have to turn
>off to undock) docking station would be nice.

Yep thought abt that

Thought abt a 12" laptop and aux 17" LCD display for
use with it.

Work?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 1, 2005 12:39:47 PM

I use an Acer tablet with 12" LCD. When I am at my office desk it is connected
to a port replicator which lets me use my 17" LCD monitor, full size keyboard,
mouse, 100MB/sec network, and my USB devices. I do take it with me to meetings
and use it in tablet mode. I also take it home almost every night and use it
at home to read email mostly. For the work I do it is plenty fast. Most
important is its size and weight, when I carry it around to meetings, and its
tablet mode so it is no more obtrusive than a dayplanner laying open.

In meetings no one has ever complained of me writing on it, no louder than
others write. But there have been complaints to others who bring in a laptop
and use the keyboard, too much clacking! :-)

Tim Lange
West Lafayette, IN USA
(Go Boilers!)

me@privacy.net wrote:
> And what size laptop are you using for this?
>
> Is a 12" display a bit too small to use as a "desktop"
> 90 percent of the time?
>
> Could I set a 12" laptop on my desk and use a wireless
> keyboard and mouse and set back form the laptop a bit
> and still "see" everything clear?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 1, 2005 2:46:27 PM

me@privacy.net wrote in news:07c9c1h09adk6frhbopdbuq77tdm1afuq0@4ax.com:

> Thanks Tom
>
> So you are finding that the 15" laptop display is good
> enough to use the unit as a "desktop" replacement huh?

Definitely for me. I run most programs maximized, which is still my
personal preference. So, for me, 15" sometimes seems too large. I'm
actually disappointed when I looked recently at Dell laptops and couldn't
find one with just the regular 15" display.

I don't travel much, but do take this with me when I do, including when
traveling with my pop-up camper. I like keeping my Internet access with
me.

> Here's the scoop. I'm in market for a new PC. Don't
> have anything right now
>
> My strong sense of "minimalism" and clutter free life
> makes me want to buy a laptop even tho I don't travel
> at all.
>
> BUT.... and this is a big but... I spend LONG hrs on
> the Net researching, chatting, newsgroups, etc. And I
> want something that is ergonomically comfortable.

Mine is usually in my den, but I have spent many hours in the living room
with it on my lap, exhausting the battery.

> My thoughts were that I could buy a laptop but also buy
> a wireless keyboard and mouse to use with it to give me
> more freedom to move around in the room and in the
> chair. True?
>
> Good idea?

I can't offer much on this. It seems like it would be a hassle and hard to
coordinate, but I haven't tried it.

--
Tom McCune
http://www.McCune.cc

My desktop is a faster machine, has more storage and a better video setup.
I use it for serious video and photo editing as well as for some gaming. I
have done some video work on it, but it is slower than my Dimension 4700 for
those tasks. My 9300 is like a portable storage device that also acts like
a wireless backup system. I keep copies of all my critical data and files
on it as a fail-safe. I also take it into my living room for surfing while
watching television. I can instantly check on breaking news, weather,
sporting events and the like while I watch the tube.

> >I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 that is awesome. It has a 17" widescreen.
>>Personally, I would not use anything less than a laptop with a 15" screen.
>>Or you can simply run a larger monitor off the laptop. I am a firm
>>believer
>>in getting all the screen real estate you can afford. I use a Samsung
>>SyncMaster 910T as my monitor for my desktop system, a Dell Dimension
>>4700.
>
> Thanks for input Kevin!
>
> So you have both a desktop and laptop then?
>
> If yes..... why? Why not just use the 9300 for
> everything?
>
> Just curious....

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 1, 2005 5:34:03 PM

me@privacy.net wrote:
> And what size laptop are you using for this?
>
> Is a 12" display a bit too small to use as a "desktop"
> 90 percent of the time?
>
> Could I set a 12" laptop on my desk and use a wireless
> keyboard and mouse and set back form the laptop a bit
> and still "see" everything clear?

I use a 14" IBM T42 as my desktop replacement. It is the perfect
compromise between portability and power, as it is light enough for me
to take to work and back every day, while at the same time powerful
enough to use as a desktop. The 14" screen is SXGA+ (1400x1050), so it
gives more resolution than an external 15" or 17" TFT. I used to have a
12" laptop but the screen might be too straining for your eyes (for long
use), and the low resolution doesn't help when doing things like
coding/image processing/CAD etc.
July 1, 2005 5:34:04 PM

>I use a 14" IBM T42 as my desktop replacement. It is the perfect
>compromise between portability and power,

OK

But how far away can you set from that 14" screen and
be comfortable with your eyes?

Do you sometimes set quite always back from it?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 1, 2005 5:34:05 PM

me@privacy.net wrote:

> >I use a 14" IBM T42 as my desktop replacement. It is the perfect
> >compromise between portability and power,
>
> OK
>
> But how far away can you set from that 14" screen and
> be comfortable with your eyes?

C'mon, me. You're kidding, right?

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 2, 2005 2:44:51 PM

me@privacy.net wrote:
> Is a 12" display a bit too small to use as a "desktop"
> 90 percent of the time?

I use my 12" ibm x24 all the time. I never use the desktop(s) directly,
preferring to always log in to them over the net with the laptop. The
keyboard is far superior. I don't like desktop keyboards.

> Could I set a 12" laptop on my desk and use a wireless
> keyboard and mouse and set back form the laptop a bit
> and still "see" everything clear?

I have no idea what you mean! I am about 20" away from the screen when
typing - the distance you would expect from the length of my forearms!

Peter
July 2, 2005 6:25:51 PM

>The
>keyboard is far superior. I don't like desktop keyboards.

How come?

Why don't you like desktop keyboards?
July 3, 2005 1:45:52 PM

Got rid of the desktop 3 years ago and haven't looked back. I have a 15"
toshiba wireless laptop and love it much better than a desktop. Can do
everything I could on my desktop on my laptop (including the games that I
like, no doom 3 or anything) and can do it wireless while watching tv.
> >The
> >keyboard is far superior. I don't like desktop keyboards.
>
> How come?
>
> Why don't you like desktop keyboards?
July 5, 2005 2:11:32 PM

> My 9300 is like a portable storage device that also acts like
>a wireless backup system. I keep copies of all my critical data and files
>on it as a fail-safe.

Ahh.... that's a good way of looking at it!
!