NEED OS CONFIG HELP PLEASE☺

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Configuration
  • Hard Drives
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 11, 2011 2:07:54 PM

im desprate now my hdd is running out of space very fast actually yesterday i got a message saying i didnt have enough space to store steam. HOW do i get all of my program files and user files into my second 1 tb in windows 7. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : config

July 11, 2011 7:07:49 PM

youngblood1017 said:
im desprate now my hdd is running out of space very fast actually yesterday i got a message saying i didnt have enough space to store steam. HOW do i get all of my program files and user files into my second 1 tb in windows 7. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A little detail would help. It sounds like you have 2 HDDs, one with the OS, program files etc which is full or nearly so and one that's reasonably empty. And you're trying to relocate some of the data off the full drive to the empty drive without reinstalling anything. Unfortunately that's not the way MS envisioned things so it's not going to be easy.

If you're C drive is small (e.g. 200-300GB) you could always get a copy of Acronis TrueImage, take a snapshot and expand it onto the 1TB drive then swap them to boot from the 1TB drive. That's easy enough.

Assuming it's not practical (e.g. you've filled a 1TB drive and need to split the data), things get ugly. You can try this
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/95/1/How-to-move-...
But I've heard bad things happening to people who've tried it.
m
l
July 11, 2011 10:28:16 PM

no theres 1 SSD (60gb) with windows on it. and one HDD with nothing on it because every proggram puts itself in the tiny ssd.

do you think it would be worth while putting a snapshot of windows onto the hdd and using the ssd as a swap drive.
m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2011 11:06:40 PM

ok, that makes sense. I can see why you ran into issues. 60GB is going to get thin fast if you're installing games etc there.

Basically, I'd say you have 2 decent options

1) The Easier Option
Take the snapshot and move everything to the HDD then setup the SSD as a swap drive. You'll some performance gains over a pure HDD setup but not nearly as much as a pure SSD setup.

2) The Harder Option
Back everything up and reinstall windows. You can tweak the install to specify "Program Files" (or whatever they call it now, "Programs" I think) is on your HDD. (You'll have to google how to do that, I don't remember off the top of my head.) That would leave windows itself and your temp file on the SSD which will give you better performance.

I suppose you could also get creative with your game setup. You should be able to manually configure an install to go where you want it. So you could make option 2 better by manually installing whatever game you're currently playing on the SSD but everything else on the HDD. It would be high maintenance (install game on SSD, play until you finish, uninstall game, install game on HDD in case you want to occasionally play it... not pretty but faster than option 2 by itself).

Given your current state, I'd probably go with option 1 but you might want to keep option 2 in mind if you're planning to reload windows at any point.
m
l
July 11, 2011 11:30:13 PM

hey how about a system repair with the windows disk could i change the settings there?
m
l

Best solution

July 12, 2011 12:18:36 AM

No. I suppose you could just hack your registry but I wouldn't recommend it...

Let's assume all of your programs (games, office, browser, image viewer... EVERYTHING) play according to the rules. Then you should be able to get away with a "live" change to the system like that. It would still carry some risk but it would have at least a reasonable chance of working.

On the other hand, let's assume you live in the real world and some programs don't play by the rules. Then you're almost certainly going to break some applications and maybe your whole system.

Here's the problem: When you install an application, the installer program (setup.exe typically) "asks" Windows where a particular system directory is located (%ProgramFiles% specifically) and installs itself there (it's more complicated but let's pretend to save me some typing). If (and this is the really big if) the program plays by the rules it would register itself as being located at say %ProgramFiles%\SomeApp\launch.exe. It would also only use this self-reference internally. But this isn't how many programs work. Instead of %ProgramFiles%\SomeApp\launch.exe they expand the path to C:\Program Files\SomeApp\launch.exe. So if you change the path variable and move the files you'd still break the program.

You could spend a long time hacking registry files to manually correct each entry but it wouldn't be fun (faster to reinstall everything) and it might not work anyway (not all programs use the registry for everything).

If you're feeling lucky you can google around a bit and see if you can find an application mover program. They exist. I've never tried one and can't really tell you if they work but I'm skeptical - there's just no way to control for all the ways programs can break the rules. If you do decide to take that sort of risk, I'd start with making an image of your SSD using TrueImage or the like so you can undo everything if/when it doesn't work.

Good luck.
July 12, 2011 12:25:27 AM

already tried some regestry hacks a modorator suggested but they didnt work so i guess its a OS snapshot thanks
m
l
July 12, 2011 12:25:41 AM

Best answer selected by youngblood1017.
m
l