Gradient question

boden08

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
hi all,
just a quick question, i seem to have a gradient problem on my system.

Phenom II 965 be
asus m4a88t-m
kingston 1333mhz 2x2gb

when playing games, looking at pics, videos or even just the desktop, if their is shading or any lighting/shading fading off or blending off i can see lines through them. i have done many tests and it seems to come down to gradient.

I have tried- monitors : lg 22" lcd, samsung 23 led, aoc 17" and 32" lg lcd tv
- gpu's : gtx460, 8800gts 640mb, 9800gt and onboard hd 4250

My cpu and mother board has been tested by supplier new memory has been tried too.

After all this and the problem is still their.

As i seem to think it is a gradient problem, where does the gradient get produced from gpu, monitor, cpu? if it is the gpu or monitor then it can not be this problem as i know they all work sound as i have tested them on my other system ( ddr2 am2).

Any help will be great.

PS has any one had a problem like this before

Thanks

This is most often an issue of the way the gradient was made, the monitor, or the color palette being used by the GPU. Most gradients you encounter are not true even gradients because a computer has a finite number of colors and shades of gray, you are especially unlikely to find a true gradient in an image online as it was probably saved for web in which case the color palette is reduced to save on space.

boden08

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
ok i get what your saying and thanks for the reply, but in this case i can pull the same picture up on the same monitor and gpu and it is fine on the other system, the games run fine on the other system and so on.

Is their a way i can take a screen shot of my desktop or what a picture on my system that shows you how it is being produced, so you can see the extent.

Some things are very minor but others are major.

As a example running the same game with the same gpu and monitor at the same setting should produce the same effects but this dont. on my old system it looks smooth and blended and on my new system i get this gradient problem no matter what gpu or monitor i use.

I am using a corsair tx650, i have tested another power supply but didnt get a chance to test fully.

Could the psu be the problem.

Thanks

boden08

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
ok think i have got things mixed up a bit, the problem is banding on gradients.

When things are ment to be blended or go from one colour to another in a blend their is banding through it.

I have done a monitor test and the system passes them all apart from thegradient one as their is quite bad banding going through it. it states that it should be smooth from black to white but it is not.

Sorry for the mix up any ideas.