Laptop question- regarding OS- Win 2000 or XP

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 30, 2005 10:53:12 PM

Hello.
I have been looking at my friends used laptop- a Dell Lattitude 610. He
has 2 one with XP the other with Windows 2000. Is there any preferance
of the os on a laptop? I have been using xp on a desktop- which would
be better? Thanks!
KOS
July 1, 2005 8:38:26 AM

KOS <computerstuff2@excite.com> wrote:
: Hello.
: I have been looking at my friends used laptop- a Dell Lattitude 610. He
: has 2 one with XP the other with Windows 2000. Is there any preferance
: of the os on a laptop? I have been using xp on a desktop- which would
: be better? Thanks!
: KOS

I use both Windows 2000 and XP regularly. Both are very good - stable
and reliable. They are closely related (the buggy Windows 95/98/ME
are an entirely different code stream), with XP being newer.

I think XP uses a little more memory than 2000 does. If the laptop
has 256MB or more, I think XP would be better. It's slightly more
friendly with things like digital cameras and such.

Only reason I would consider 2000 is if the XP is XP Home and not XP
Professional. I have been finding more reasons to want XP Pro these
days, but I'm getting into some more advanced uses. Most users are
fine with XP Home. Windows 2000 has some of the more advanaced
features built into it that XP Pro also has.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

"KOS" <computerstuff2@excite.com> wrote:
>Is there any preferance of the os on a laptop?

We're recommending XP for all new machines, and upgrades for
individual clients on a case-by-case basis. Since Win2K support ended
yesterday, and XP is fairly stable, I'd go with the XP.
a b D Laptop
July 1, 2005 1:15:31 PM

William P. N. Smith wrote:

> "KOS" <computerstuff2@excite.com> wrote:
>>Is there any preferance of the os on a laptop?
>
> We're recommending XP for all new machines, and upgrades for
> individual clients on a case-by-case basis. Since Win2K support ended
> yesterday, and XP is fairly stable, I'd go with the XP.

Actually, 2K support is due to end in 2009. What ended yesterday was one
phase of support.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

On 30 Jun 2005 18:53:12 -0700, "KOS" <computerstuff2@excite.com>
wrote:

>Hello.
>I have been looking at my friends used laptop- a Dell Lattitude 610. He
>has 2 one with XP the other with Windows 2000. Is there any preferance
>of the os on a laptop? I have been using xp on a desktop- which would
>be better? Thanks!
>KOS

Go with the XP. If you install it yourself use the FAT not the NTFS
option if you want to play old RPG video games ( possibly other game
types too but RPG's are all I have experience with). If you're not
interested in running old software use the NTFS option, it's more
efficent.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 1, 2005 3:07:06 PM

Chris or Larry LaMere wrote:

> On 30 Jun 2005 18:53:12 -0700, "KOS" <computerstuff2@excite.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hello.
>>I have been looking at my friends used laptop- a Dell Lattitude 610. He
>>has 2 one with XP the other with Windows 2000. Is there any preferance
>>of the os on a laptop? I have been using xp on a desktop- which would
>>be better? Thanks!
>>KOS
>
> Go with the XP. If you install it yourself use the FAT not the NTFS
> option if you want to play old RPG video games ( possibly other game
> types too but RPG's are all I have experience with). If you're not
> interested in running old software use the NTFS option, it's more
> efficent.

Application software under XP has no direct access to the filesystem, so FAT
vs NTFS makes no difference. If you are going to dual-boot to 98 to deal
with the few programs that XP breaks that's a different story.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 2, 2005 6:09:12 AM

XP is better, other things being equal.

KOS wrote:
> Hello.
> I have been looking at my friends used laptop- a Dell Lattitude 610. He
> has 2 one with XP the other with Windows 2000. Is there any preferance
> of the os on a laptop? I have been using xp on a desktop- which would
> be better? Thanks!
> KOS

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 2, 2005 1:58:08 PM

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:07:06 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:

>Chris or Larry LaMere wrote:
>
>> On 30 Jun 2005 18:53:12 -0700, "KOS" <computerstuff2@excite.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Hello.
>>>I have been looking at my friends used laptop- a Dell Lattitude 610. He
>>>has 2 one with XP the other with Windows 2000. Is there any preferance
>>>of the os on a laptop? I have been using xp on a desktop- which would
>>>be better? Thanks!
>>>KOS
>>
>> Go with the XP. If you install it yourself use the FAT not the NTFS
>> option if you want to play old RPG video games ( possibly other game
>> types too but RPG's are all I have experience with). If you're not
>> interested in running old software use the NTFS option, it's more
>> efficent.
>
>Application software under XP has no direct access to the filesystem, so FAT
>vs NTFS makes no difference. If you are going to dual-boot to 98 to deal
>with the few programs that XP breaks that's a different story.

Not being cyber-savvy I wouldn't know about that. All I can say is
that I have two machines with WinXP on them, one has FAT32 and the
other NTFS. All my old windows games play on the one with FAT32 using
compatibility mode and only two play on the NTFS machine.

I can't explain it , it just is.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 2, 2005 4:06:47 PM

Chris or Larry LaMere wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:07:06 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Chris or Larry LaMere wrote:

>>> Go with the XP. If you install it yourself use the FAT not the NTFS
>>> option if you want to play old RPG video games ( possibly other game
>>> types too but RPG's are all I have experience with). If you're not
>>> interested in running old software use the NTFS option, it's more
>>> efficent.
>>
>>Application software under XP has no direct access to the filesystem, so
>>FAT
>>vs NTFS makes no difference. If you are going to dual-boot to 98 to deal
>>with the few programs that XP breaks that's a different story.
>

> Not being cyber-savvy I wouldn't know about that. All I can say is
> that I have two machines with WinXP on them, one has FAT32 and the
> other NTFS. All my old windows games play on the one with FAT32 using
> compatibility mode and only two play on the NTFS machine.
>
> I can't explain it , it just is.

Both same service pack level?

Might be the security that's the problem--with NTFS access to particular
areas of the filesystem can be blocked by the OS--with FAT32 there is no
security. I suspect that if you find out what the games are trying to
access and allow the user privilege there that they'll run.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 3, 2005 11:59:57 AM

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 12:06:47 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:

>Chris or Larry LaMere wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:07:06 -0400, "J. Clarke"
>> <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:

>>>Application software under XP has no direct access to the filesystem, so
>>>FAT
>>>vs NTFS makes no difference. If you are going to dual-boot to 98 to deal
>>>with the few programs that XP breaks that's a different story.
>>

>> Not being cyber-savvy I wouldn't know about that. All I can say is
>> that I have two machines with WinXP on them, one has FAT32 and the
>> other NTFS. All my old windows games play on the one with FAT32 using
>> compatibility mode and only two play on the NTFS machine.
>>
>> I can't explain it , it just is.
>
>Both same service pack level?
>
>Might be the security that's the problem--with NTFS access to particular
>areas of the filesystem can be blocked by the OS--with FAT32 there is no
>security. I suspect that if you find out what the games are trying to
>access and allow the user privilege there that they'll run.

I'm not too bright, how do you do that unblock security thing?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 3, 2005 4:09:47 PM

Chris or Larry LaMere wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 12:06:47 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Chris or Larry LaMere wrote:

>>> Not being cyber-savvy I wouldn't know about that. All I can say is
>>> that I have two machines with WinXP on them, one has FAT32 and the
>>> other NTFS. All my old windows games play on the one with FAT32 using
>>> compatibility mode and only two play on the NTFS machine.
>>>
>>> I can't explain it , it just is.
>>
>>Both same service pack level?
>>
>>Might be the security that's the problem--with NTFS access to particular
>>areas of the filesystem can be blocked by the OS--with FAT32 there is no
>>security. I suspect that if you find out what the games are trying to
>>access and allow the user privilege there that they'll run.
>
> I'm not too bright, how do you do that unblock security thing?

Right-click on the folder, then "properties" and "security".

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 4, 2005 12:58:04 PM

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 12:09:47 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:

>Chris or Larry LaMere wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 12:06:47 -0400, "J. Clarke"
>> <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:

>>>Both same service pack level?
>>>
>>>Might be the security that's the problem--with NTFS access to particular
>>>areas of the filesystem can be blocked by the OS--with FAT32 there is no
>>>security. I suspect that if you find out what the games are trying to
>>>access and allow the user privilege there that they'll run.
>>
>> I'm not too bright, how do you do that unblock security thing?
>
>Right-click on the folder, then "properties" and "security".

Right clicking then "properties" there is no security tab. General,
quick finder and sharing only and all the check boxes under the
sharing tab are greyed out.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 4, 2005 2:28:23 PM

Chris or Larry LaMere wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 12:09:47 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Chris or Larry LaMere wrote:

>>> I'm not too bright, how do you do that unblock security thing?
>>
>>Right-click on the folder, then "properties" and "security".
>

> Right clicking then "properties" there is no security tab. General,
> quick finder and sharing only and all the check boxes under the
> sharing tab are greyed out.

Then either you're on a FAT disk (FAT doesn't _have_ security) or you're on
a network whose administrator has disabled your access to those features.

--
!