Help!!! HP media center m1297c and GT 220 compatible?

greencrusader

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Hello,
I have a HP media center m1297 and I just got this new graphics card the GeForce GT 220. I am not a gamer and I only play old games like Mechwarrior 4 and Mech Commander 2. Everything works fine on my computer until I try to play one of my old games and my computer freezes and sometimes it crashes. What is going on? Please help. This is what my computer has:

Pentium 4 640 (P) HT 3.2 GHz:
Motherboard- Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: PTGD1-LA
HP motherboard name: PufferM-UL8E
Memory Installed: 2GB PC3200 MB/sec 184 pin, DDR SDRAM
Hard Drive: 300 GB SATA 7200 rpm
Original Video graphics ATI Radeon X300SE 128MB DDR memory
PCI-E (Express) interface

I installed the GT 220 and my computer only freezes/crashes when I try and play a game. Are these two just not compatible or do I just need to adjust something? Thanks for your help

Solution
you can use core temp to check the cpu temperature. 60c under load is quite normal for gpu. just check your temperature first. try running program called memtest86 as well to check your RAM as well. faulty RAM also one of the reason system to crash other that overheating. oh, i forgot to ask did the crash only happen to one game only?

greencrusader

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011

Hi, thanks for your answer but I don't understand what you mean by driver related? what do I have to do? I just updated my drivers for the GT 220 from Nvidia. Before my games freeze this video card tells me that the cpu is at 60 degress. Please let me know what I need to do. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Hi, thanks for your answer but I don't understand what you mean by driver related?

sometimes the newest driver not always the best. there are chances it will break the previous support when it goes out.

Before my games freeze this video card tells me that the cpu is at 60 degress. Please let me know what I need to do. Your help is greatly appreciated.

what software did you use to check your cpu temp? 60c under load is still considered as acceptable for cpu but sometimes it depends on the cpu as well. what about your gpu temp?

greencrusader

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011

Hello,
I guess the temp I was looking at was for my gpu because I have not run any program to get my cpu's temp. My graphic card has a tool called EVGA precision that tells you a temp I guess it was for the gpu. What program do you recommend? and what can I do about the driver situation? Thanks so much for your help

you can use core temp to check the cpu temperature. 60c under load is quite normal for gpu. just check your temperature first. try running program called memtest86 as well to check your RAM as well. faulty RAM also one of the reason system to crash other that overheating. oh, i forgot to ask did the crash only happen to one game only?

Solution