Sign in with
Your question

Home server/storage build

Last response: in Systems
July 11, 2011 7:43:27 PM

I'm about to build a home office server and need some tips to get started.

Here is what I have and what I want to do:
My wife and I both have mac book pros. Connected to each is a USB drive used for time machine and one or two firewire drives with work related files and archives.

Somewhat separate from this is my monster gaming PC. Its great for playing Metro 2033, but serious overkill for streaming itunes to the apple tv. It has 4-1.5TB drives in raid 0+1. All of my movies are also stored here.

What I would like to do is build a device that stores all of this and gets rid of all the external drives. It would need a place for time machine backups, places to keep all of my work related files and archives, places for music and movies. I would also like it to run itunes 24/7 so when I want to watch a movie on the apple tv I don't have to turn on the big water-cooled monster. I would still use the big PC for transcoding videos but then load them into itunes on the new server.

I think 6TB is enough to start, but I'd want to expand to 12 pretty quickly.
I'd like to leave it on 24/7 and only connect a monitor to it if there was a major problem.
Low power and very quiet are important
I want to put in a closet
I don't think speed is a huge concern, but 50MB/s writing would be nice.

a b B Homebuilt system
July 11, 2011 7:52:56 PM

are you in the US? i have a feeling theres a need for an E-350! :D 
m
l
July 11, 2011 8:13:52 PM

You can build some pretty awesome headless systems (obviously after you've got it installed and running).

If you're comfortable with Linux, there are a lot of options to do it that way. I've also worked with Windows Home Server and it's super simple to set up and use.

Do you have a budget?
m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2011 9:07:57 PM

I am in the US but I'm not a linux user. I was thinking this would cost about 1k but I don't have a firm target to hit.

WHS is what I was leaning towards. What I'm not sure about are racks/cases that are just big enough, cpus, motherboards, raid cards, etc...
m
l
July 12, 2011 4:08:58 PM

I built a WHS box for relatively cheap...you don't need a lot of horsepower. I've got mine with a Q8200 and it's overkill. Even the 4GB of RAM is not really necessary.

Other than that, I threw a bunch of 1.5TB drives in it and have been good to go.

You can build in a lot of different cases - some like trying to do it in an ITX for a little box. I just chose a standard mid-tower and started installing.
m
l
!