Sign in with
Your question

To upgrade from my E8400 or not? Build Suggestions.

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 8, 2011 8:24:39 AM

Hi All,

I've been looking into this for quite a while now, and the more i research... the more i worry that i'm buying a V8 when all i need is a push bike. I need others help and any positive suggestions on what I can do to upgrade my pc or even if i need to.

My PC is mainly used for audio work ( Acid 7 pro ) and light gaming. Really all i use it for is to play wow (which i know needs a damp cloth to run it these days) but i do plan to run Diablo 3. Of course i want both games to run well and look great. But i don't want to go overboard.

This is my current setup.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 – Factory Fan
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P For INTEL 775
Memory: 2 x 1GB DDR2 RAM XMS2 PC2-8500 1066 MHz
Harddisk: WD Raptor 74GB SATA HDD 16MB 10KRPM + 2 x 500gb 5400rpm drives
GPU: 9800gtx
PSU: 750W Titan Silent Power Supply

In regards to the video card, i just bought a SAPPHIRE 6950 2GB TOXIC Edition which i hope to switch to a 6970 so thats sorted :) 

I do plan to get a SSD for my core 3 programs ( Acid,wow,D3 ) and getting new 2nd storage drives... cause, man.. mine are tiny!

If required, i want to spend around $500 on the "brains" of the pc... or less if required. As i said, if i wouldn't get any benefits from a i5 2500k. Why bother?

I'm not fussed with either INTEL or AMD.

Oh, btw... i get most of my gaming fixes from my PS3, xbox360 and wii ( that is gathering dust!).

Thanks for any and all replies! I love advice!
October 8, 2011 10:40:23 AM

Hello there. If you upgrade the brains it will cost minimum 400 dollars. The only difference you will see is that the audio encoding will be faster because of 4 cores instead of 2. Otherwise such as desktop performance such as internet, word, media player, normal programs you will not feel any difference at all. If you are satisfied by your encoding times then do not upgrade. But if you want faster encoding then go ahead. I would advise in getting windows 7 64bit it will speed up things and adding 2gb more ram. If not satisfied with that then upgrade the brains. As for graphics the bigger the graphic card the better the graphics.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2011 7:43:41 PM

I'd start with some overclocking.

Most games still use 1-2 cores. Very few benefit greatly from 3, however that number is growing.

IMO your CPU is fine for that GPU in most situations, a little OC might make you more certain.

Keep an eye out for games that benefit from 3+ cores, and see if your performance is satisfactory in that game. Then ask yourself if it's worth it. :) 

Definitely go for the i5-2500k if you decide to upgrade.

Consoles hurt my eyes after having GPU power in your range (I'm using a 6970). :) 
m
l
!