Sign in with
Your question

Speed Up Internet

Last response: in Networking
September 14, 2010 11:53:12 AM

my internet is being slow. i know this is a comon problem but i am confused. it 'uplink' speed is 7mbps. when downloading or just surfing the internet 'task manager' says that the computer is using below 5% of the internet's speed capasity. it never gets higher than this, is there any way to change this so that i can us the full potential of the internets speed.

thx

More about : speed internet

September 15, 2010 3:07:02 PM

Go to speedtest.net to test the actual speed coming into your location. Unless you have a dedicated line(T1, E1, Etc.) your connection is shared with the location around you. For example, in my neighborhood my speeds drop at around 4 and then again at around 6 when people are getting home from school and work, respectively. When you have a dedicated line you pay for a dedicated speed(T1 is 1.54 Mbps) and when you have cable you pay for a maximum of (insert plan here), therefore you might never see the internet speeds that you pay for.

Something that you can try is to use better dns servers:

http://lifehacker.com/5420931/namebench-helps-you-find-...
m
l
September 16, 2010 7:57:33 AM

mother242 said:
my internet is being slow. i know this is a comon problem but i am confused. it 'uplink' speed is 7mbps. when downloading or just surfing the internet 'task manager' says that the computer is using below 5% of the internet's speed capasity. it never gets higher than this, is there any way to change this so that i can us the full potential of the internets speed.

thx

Here are some tips to share with you, hoping it will be helpful
1. By upgrading to the latest version - or using a different browser, such as Mozilla Firefox - you could reduce the time it takes to download a page.
2. Install free Speed Tester software to see how your ISP performs.
If the speed is exceptionally slow, you might be able to boost your connection simply by asking your ISP if there’s anything they can do to speed things up.
3. Read your router’s manual for details on how to improve performance.
4. To find out which applications are running, go to your task manager (right click on the Task bar). You can see what’s running in the Applications tab, and also see if anything is running secretly by clicking on the Processes tab.
You should always opt to give permission before an application runs, or set things to run at more convenient times - like only downloading podcasts at night.
5. You can also buy a wireless access point, which acts as a second router, sending your signal further.
6. Monitor download programmes
Make sure that the boxes marked “peer-to-peer network participation” and “run Download Manager on Windows startup” are both unchecked so that it doesn’t remain on the peer-to-peer network once you’ve exited the programme and doesn’t automatically start up when you turn your PC on.
m
l
Related resources
September 16, 2010 11:46:34 AM

schm1tty said:
Go to speedtest.net to test the actual speed coming into your location. Unless you have a dedicated line(T1, E1, Etc.) your connection is shared with the location around you. For example, in my neighborhood my speeds drop at around 4 and then again at around 6 when people are getting home from school and work, respectively. When you have a dedicated line you pay for a dedicated speed(T1 is 1.54 Mbps) and when you have cable you pay for a maximum of (insert plan here), therefore you might never see the internet speeds that you pay for.

Something that you can try is to use better dns servers:

http://lifehacker.com/5420931/namebench-helps-you-find-...

does this also apply for a wireless connections via next G on Telstra (this is for australia)
m
l
September 17, 2010 12:59:44 PM

Whenever you type a web page into your web browser, a DNS server is being used, so yes. I am not sure if there are any benefits from trying to use other DNS servers on a cellular network because I have never tried it(I am actually curious about it now and I think I will tether my phone to my laptop tonight so I can try it)

Also, 7Mbps is your optimal 100% theoretical speed. You gotta remember, almost everything can affect your cellular signal, from TV's, water lines, microwaves, concrete, wiring, etc. When your computer says its using 5%, that doesn't necessarily mean that your only getting 5% of the 7Mbps but that your network card is only having to use 5% of its maximum output.

Oh and you can still go to www.speedtest.net and find out what the speed that your computer is currently receiving from your isp.
m
l
July 12, 2011 9:46:09 AM

You may be connected to the wrong network or someone else is on your network using all of your bandwidth , to make this situation as clear you need to talk to your ISP and also download reign out to sort out this issue.
After that check your internet speed test through this site www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test whether the speed is high or not.............

m
l
!