Which monitor to get? 2ms vs 5ms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spizzy

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
I've been looking everywhere and I'm getting different answers from different locations and generally going in circles.

I'm trying to find a decent monitor (preferably LED backlit) that looks good, is 1080p and has a good response time. Personally aiming for 2ms. Is needs to be great for gaming with. I also intend to get 3 for Nvidia Surround so it needs to have a small bezel. All these requirements must be met at a £150 budget! (per monitor)

I've currently got my eyes set on the LG E2260V-PN http://www.ebuyer.com/product/241902

It's almost perfect for what i need, except its response time. It's 5ms. Its GTG response time is apparently 2ms but that generally means nothing these days, although it is usually the one that manufacturers tend to list as its always the fastest.

What i need to know is simples! Is this monitor good for gaming? Will i notice any difference? And is there a better one for the spec I'm looking for?

Monitor specification is a bit of a grey area for me so any help would be greatly appreciated. And also, if anyone has any idea of the input lag on the monitor in question, that would also be great to know. I personally can't find this information anywhere.

Spizzy

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011

That's what a lot of people are saying, and i agree as we're talking a fraction of a second. However other people also say that some monitors have other response times which are not listed by manufacturers. There is also input lag to be considered.

I guess it all comes down to why do people say to get a 2ms monitor for gaming, when you'll not notice the difference from a 5ms one?

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Input lag is different from GTG response times. I've played games on cheaper LCD monitors and haven't noticed anything that might be attributed to response times. Only if you scrutinize the scene minutely, you might notice something small, but that will not bother you when gaming.

The difference in response time is minor. It is also misleading. Response time measures the fastest time it takes for a pixel to change from one color to another.

A 2ms response time monitor can have instances where the highest response time is 275ms.

A 5ms response time monitor can have instances where the highest response time is 250ms.

Input lag is different from response time and you will never see it listed as part of the specs. The only way to fine out about it is to read reviews where a person compares it to a CRT monitor, or a LCD monitor that is known to have very little input lag.

Tommy_35

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
LET'S GET ONE THING STRAIGH REAL QUICK, I HAVE USED 5MS, 2MS, AND 1MS MONITORS BEFORE AND YOU NOTICE A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN THE FIRST 15 SECONDS OF USING IT. THE LOWER THE RESPONSE TIMING DUE TO USING RESPONSE OVERDRIVE TECHNOLOGY, CAUSES INPUT LAG. IF ITS FOR GAMING, RUN NOTHING HIGHER THAN A 2MS RESPONSE MONITOR. THE BEST MONITOR AVAILABLE TODAY IS THE SAMSUNG P2770FH, 27", 1MS. THE RESPONSE TIMING IS ADJUSTABLE FROM 1MS-3MS WITH THIS MODEL. IN RACING AND FIGHTING GAMES, YOU NEED THAT IMMEDIATE PICTURE RESPONSE. I HAVE SPENT HOURS TESTING 1MS, 2MS, AND 5MS MONITORS. ONLY A RETARD WILL SAY THERE IS NO NOTICABLE DIFFERENCE.

KardisF1

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010

You threw your credibility out the window when you decided to use all caps. And from what I'm seeing in this post is, the lower the response time, the higher the input lag?

gussak

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

Thx a lot man, I was looking for this kind of info a long time now... I have no means to perform such a tests, I have not much money either, so I must make the right choice. I play Urban Terror, yes an old game, but if you are not pretty fast you are defeated, and that info makes difference to hardcore gamers; I will look for the 2ms one as I can get money for it.. thx again!

Status
Not open for further replies.