Sign in with
Your question

Freezing issues after boot of Windows 7

Last response: in Systems
July 12, 2011 1:51:51 AM

All right. New system, just put it together.

Specs: Windows 7 Home Premium OEM

1tb 7200 WD HDD
8gb ram (2x4) DDR3
Asus P8P67 Mobo
Intel i5 CPU
Corsair 750w PSU
Nvidia GTX550 GPU

I've got Windows 7 clean installed. No OPK, just straight from the disk. After install, and successful login, it will eventually lag, slow down, and either freeze altogether or BSOD. Doesn't matter what I do. It seems as though it is a timed response, because if it sits at the login screen for a few minutes it freezes there, too.

I've run memtest 86 for the RAM and got 100% AOK results there.

When run in safe mode, Win7 does considerably better. I was able to install NVIDIA and ASUS drivers from discs. However, no change. Rinsed and repeated with Windows 7 fresh install. Same problems.

Suggestions?

July 12, 2011 2:00:47 AM

I have a nearly identical problem, on totally different hardware. I tried upgrading from a 500w psu to a 650, and that partially fixed the problem. After installing drivers for my nvidia 9800 gtx+ graphics card, the problem came back though. Now I'm running with the card unplugged, and all is well. I've ordered a 750w psu and I'm hoping that solves it.

So perhaps this is power related? Perhaps as the load increases, the system becomes starved for power and gets unstable, then crashes?
m
l
July 12, 2011 2:03:20 AM

My problem with that fix is that I already have a 750w PSU... but I'll try running unplugged in a moment and let you know what I find on my end

Edit: Upon further thought, not sure how to do that, as I can't seem to stay in windows long enough to get any kind of remote viewing setup going... hrm.
m
l
Related resources
July 12, 2011 2:10:21 AM

I'm using the onboard graphics on my motherboard. You might also try dropping to a little less ram, I'm not sure how much power ram pulls, but if things get better, at least you'll know that power is the issue.
m
l
July 12, 2011 2:39:01 AM

I don't have an onboard slot that I can tell. I tried with each RAM stick singly, in different slots, as well as both in the correct 1 and 3 positions. Nothing. I have no other DDR3 to troubleshoot with, but i assume the memtest would've rooted out any problems?

Trying a fresh install on another HDD in a moment.
m
l
July 12, 2011 4:21:54 AM

So I guess I solved my own problem. Third clean install was on an old discarded HDD. Working like a charm, it's been running smooth for an hour plus now.

Guess newegg will be hearing from me tomorrow re: faulty hard drive.

Western Digital, my old friend... you have let me down for the first time.
m
l
!