Fingered my cpu, need advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajay_vishvanathan

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
today, when i was cleaning my pc, i wanted to remove the heatsink fan and cpu so that i can clean dust off there.. so I removed it, cpu stuck to heatsink (a novice at veteran level) but thanks to youtube, I used hairdryer to melt the thermal paste and remove the cpu, bent the pins many times, straightened it using a paperpin and my dirty nails, by running it over and over between the pins again and again, somehow fixed it and its running.

now my question is that do i really need to put the thermal paste that is almost very thin right now.. ??
and
did i finger it real bad? will my processor go bust someday soon? im worried a bit.. but my dad thinks i did something awesome.. yeah.. i fixed it.. thats the awesome part.. but im afraid that it might go boom anytime soon..

and about gpu..

recently while cleaning (yeah again, i got a finger to clean everything.) my gpu, i broke one of the fan wings.. (msi gts450 with the 9cm fan red and black). fixed it with adhesive.. its feviquik.. that sticks anything real strong.. damn strong.. so.. its "almost" on par with other wings, but its just a bit raised more than other wings.. is it good to go for at least couple of years before i throw it and buy a new set?

Solution
You can stop sweating. Nothing serious. Thats with the CPU i mean. Monitored the temps? If they are fine, you need not put thermal paste again. And about the gpu, it would have been better had you not used any adhesive to the fan, as any added weight to it is not recommended. If the fan isnt making any funny noises and you sure the part wont come flying out in a few days, you can use it no problems. GPUs can take more heat. So, its ok.

wrazor

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
You can stop sweating. Nothing serious. Thats with the CPU i mean. Monitored the temps? If they are fine, you need not put thermal paste again. And about the gpu, it would have been better had you not used any adhesive to the fan, as any added weight to it is not recommended. If the fan isnt making any funny noises and you sure the part wont come flying out in a few days, you can use it no problems. GPUs can take more heat. So, its ok.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.