d0pe

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
So I just built my first rig, fried up my first i7-2600k because of a poorly installed heatsink.

Got my second one in there now on a new motherboard, using the stock heatsink (its definitely installed properly) and I'm getting some volatile temp reports...

b8lorb.png

My CPU seems to be running ridiculously hot on idle...
anyone know what might be up with that?

VJTB

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
37-39 is not terrible for idle, but it certainly is a bit warm. The 78 on CPU for speedfan can be ignored.

What is the temperature in the room? Low 30s would be more what I would expect for the stock heatsink, but I have a i5-2500K which might run cooler possibly.

I'm not an expert though and just sharing my experiences.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Nope for stock cooler its normal.
I get around 36c to 39c.And when playing games i get 55c.Its normal.The more important temps are load temps.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Those temps are not "volatile" or "ridiculously hot" they are fine so you have nothing to worry about, infact they are pretty good for a stock fan.

What are your load temps? as someone else has already said these are more important.

d0pe

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I just installed a Coolermaster V8 and did some stress testing... only left it on for like 5 minutes but I saw one of my cores creeping into the low 70s

d0pe

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Well it gets pretty hot in my room, as its a little small.. that might be the issue...

I went ahead and ordered a Corsair H80, you guys think that will bring much improvement?

cbrunnem

Distinguished
stop ordering stuff we are trying to figure this out and the H80 prolly wont solve the problem as the previous heat sink was just fine. a lot of air coolers are actually better then lower end water coolers and i believe the h80 is one of those lower end water coolers.

give us your approximate room temps and let us know if you seated your heat sink right. why ask us for help if you arent going to answer our questions?

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
What case do you have mate? there may be a problem with your airflow.

As cbrunnem said don't ask for help and then change your hardware, your making it difficult to help you and you may be wasting your money (though to be honest I don't care about that)