Sign in with
Your question

MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) SLI?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • MSI
Last response: in Motherboards
July 1, 2012 6:17:11 PM

Hello, I've been searching for days to try to find the answer to my question, so I decided to try my luck here.

I have an MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) board already from a rig I assembled a year ago. I'm interesting in upgrading my graphics cards (CF 2x 6950s) to EVGA GTX 670 SC 4gb cards, but I'm concerned about it fitting into that second slot on this board. I had to carry out a minor "surgery" on the casing of a 6950 card to fit it into the lower PCIe slot because the edge of the casing of the card was pressed against a connection plugged into the front panel on the far right edge of the board. The GTX 670 is slightly shorter than my 6950, but it's also more blocky in shape. Thus, this comes down to a fraction of an inch. I'm really puzzled as to whether both cards can fit.

I really do not want to start cutting chunks of a brand new $500 card. Has anyone tried to plug a GTX 670 into that second PCIe slot? Or, even better, does anyone have a 2x SLI setup with this card and mobo? I've been searching around the interwebz for confirmation that two of these cards can fit into this board for a few days without much luck. Thanks in advance if anyone here has the answer. It's only the lower slot that I'm concerned about. My 6950 fit in fine in the top slot, and it's slightly longer than the GTX 670.

More about : msi p67a gd65 sli

a c 717 V Motherboard
July 1, 2012 6:49:05 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

I'm a tad confused here, you have CF HD 6850 =(close enough)= GTX 670?!

I suggest that you use the top Blue PCIe (x16) for one 'GPU' and both Blue PCIe (x8/x8) for SLI or CF. The second Blue PCIe is (x8).

My buddy here has SLI GTX 670 2GB and it's way overkill for HD (1920x1080) unless you like 300+ FPS CoD, and just recently my daughter's gaming rig is 3-WAY GTX 680 4GB (5900x1080). Neither of us is on a P67. Granted the HD 6850 is 1GB vRAM, but 2GB is not an issue until you get into 3xHD and frankly SLI GTX 670 is light on that resolution.

Please explain what you're though process is here?
m
l
July 1, 2012 8:48:38 PM

What I want to know is whether two EVGA GTX 670 cards can fit into this particular motherboard (MSI P67A-GD65 (B3)). My 6950 cards are approximately 9.7" long and had to be altered to fit into the lower slot due to a connection on the right edge of the board to the front panel. From the listed dimensions, the GTX 670 appears to be 9.5" long but is also quite blockly in shape. I'm concerned that a second card may not fit into the lower slot of board. I do not want to spend $500 per card only to discover that I can't fit two into my motherboard.

As for the size of VRAM, 2 GB is enough VRAM for almost all games games right now. I'm not sure that will be the case for much longer. I've seen people complain about using up all 2 GB already. I've seen figures posted of 1.8 GB to 1.9 GB in current games at high resolutions, and modded games with high end AA can drift above 2 GB.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
July 1, 2012 10:21:03 PM

The card can be 10' long which is a limitation on your case not your MOBO, all of the EVGA GTX 670/680/690's are double width and if you have a wide HSF like a Noctua NH-D14 it will be tight but according to this work -> http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_gen&pr...

Right edge - those are Front Panel connections and most any I've ever seen fold over with no issues unless for some odd reason you're using a 'quick connector' which is NOT needed. I wire each connection individually. and 90 degree down 'typically' the connections.

EVGA 690 = 11"
EVGA 680 = 10"~10.5"
EVGA 670 = 9.5"
m
l
July 2, 2012 4:12:42 AM

I haven't individually wired the front panel connections. I suppose that will have to be my backup plan if I can't fit in a second card as is. I think I'll go ahead and order one card GTX 670 card and see how it pans out. Thanks.
m
l
!