Sign in with
Your question

Pc freezes while gaming

Last response: in Components
October 8, 2011 10:38:22 PM

i have had a new computer for about 2 months now and every so often, maybe once or twice a week, my computer will lock up without any reason. It only seems to happen during games, but it's never happened during any games that are particularly demanding, such as crysis 2 or shogun 2, which is why i dont think its my power supply or video card. what happens is, my display will stop working as if i turned off my computer and the last millisecond or so of sound is looped, the only way to make it stop is by pushing the reset button. and when i reboot it will sometimes say the the overclock was unstable, but this is not all the time. i have tried upping the voltage on my ram and cpu but it made no difference. I have ran memtest for about 2 hours straight without any errors and i have ran intel burn test and prime95 for my cpu for a hours, without error. ive also ran lots of video card stress tests, like furmark without error. i have a harddrive and ssd combo and play games on both and it freezes on either drive. i dont think its a heat issue since my video card never gets over 60 degrees and my cpu never goes over 55 degrees. any help or advise would be very much appreciated since i have no idea what is causing this problem. thanks

computer specs:
cm haf x case,
kingston hyperx ram 2x4gb at 1600, 1.65v
intel i5 2500k overclocked to 4.2 ghz, voltage set to auto and highest ive seen is 1.308 in cpu z, idles at 0.996
gigabyte windfore x3 gtx 570 overclocked to 825 on core, haven't touched the voltage
asus xonar dg 5.1 sound card
killer xeno pro network card
crucial m4 64gb ssd sata 3
1tb 7200rpm hdd sata 3
giabyte z68x-ud4-b3 motherboard
coolermaster silent pro gold 800w psu

More about : freezes gaming

October 8, 2011 10:52:49 PM

and my os is windows 7 64 bit, i forgot to mention that
m
l
October 8, 2011 10:55:30 PM

your voltage might be an issue. i havent OCed an i5 to be of much help, but if your bios is telling you your OC is unstable, back it off a bit and see if the problem persists. if you are wanting to increase voltage for a stable OC, then i recommend getting an aftermarket cooler.
m
l
Related resources
October 8, 2011 10:57:48 PM

no i use a notua d14 cpu cooler, forgot to mention that as well
m
l
October 8, 2011 10:58:02 PM

Quote:
i use 1.3 volts for 4.5ghz on my 2500k so the voltage is fine.
Are you on stock cooling?

see? this man knows about Ocing an i5. sorry i wasnt much help on that. i am thinking the stock cooler might be an issue as well, but he also says his tempsnever exceed 55
m
l
October 8, 2011 10:58:24 PM

mike1123 said:
no i use a notua d14 cpu cooler, forgot to mention that as well

wrong again :( 
m
l
October 8, 2011 11:00:50 PM

Quote:
Try gaming without your sound card installed.

thats what i was thinking of doing, but i didn't know if a sound card could even cause this
m
l
October 8, 2011 11:15:30 PM

I'm not sure if this is the problem but I did notice you have a Crucial M4. Several months ago I had a terrible time diagnosing random freezing/hangs on my computer. Come to find out it was the Crucial C300 drive I am using and it's inability to handle LPM instructions with the Intel Storage drivers.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Solu...

This worked for me and since applying it I have been freeze free.
m
l
October 8, 2011 11:18:17 PM

singemagique said:
I'm not sure if this is the problem but I did notice you have a Crucial M4. Several months ago I had a terrible time diagnosing random freezing/hangs on my computer. Come to find out it was the Crucial C300 drive I am using and it's inability to handle LPM instructions with the Intel Storage drivers.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Solu...

This worked for me and since applying it I have been freeze free.

i was thinking that in the beginning but it has locked up several times when i wasnt using my ssd at all, i have windows on my hdd and only use my ssd to put games on.
m
l
October 8, 2011 11:21:06 PM

Quote:
Yes there have been people on this forum with the exact same issues.

okay i just finished removing my sound card. hopefully that resolves it, wont know for while but thanks for the input, i appreciate it!
m
l
October 19, 2011 5:16:46 AM

Best answer selected by mike1123.
m
l
!