[ancient games] SPA & memory battery

Hi,
my (original) Gameboy broke a long time agom but the games are still
sitting around, and I haven't even finished them all.

Could I play them in an SP Advance? (seems that way)
What about the memory? Is it flash or battery in the games listed below?
How to replace or even open the cartridges?

Super Mario Land 2
Zelda: Link's Awakening
Mystic Quest (German version of Final Fantasy Adventure?)

--
Tobias Weber

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 09:58:05 +0100, Tobias Weber <towb@gmx.net> wrote:

>Could I play them in an SP Advance? (seems that way)
>What about the memory? Is it flash or battery in the games listed below?
>How to replace or even open the cartridges?

Yes, they'll work fine in a GBA/GBA SP system. The memory for
original GB games is battery-based, but the batteries last a long,
long, long time. Most likely they'll still work without a problem.
If they don't, then there are FAQs that you can search for on the net
for instructions on replacing them. It shouldn't be that difficult
because Nintendo carts used standard batteries sizes (the tiny
itty-bitty ones for watches and the like) that you'll probably be able
to find at most department stores.

In article <0rk8v0h13pa6ceutrsmkvqc611v17pon9r@4ax.com>,
drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, they'll work fine in a GBA/GBA SP system. The memory for
> original GB games is battery-based, but the batteries last a long,
> long, long time. Most likely they'll still work without a problem.
> If they don't, then there are FAQs that you can search for on the net
> for instructions on replacing them. It shouldn't be that difficult

I only found that it's "solder tab mounted CR2032", and a lot of
information on power adapters. Please give me a pointer.

--
Tobias Weber

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:28:51 +0100, Tobias Weber <towb@gmx.net> wrote:

>In article <0rk8v0h13pa6ceutrsmkvqc611v17pon9r@4ax.com>,
> drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, they'll work fine in a GBA/GBA SP system. The memory for
>> original GB games is battery-based, but the batteries last a long,
>> long, long time. Most likely they'll still work without a problem.
>> If they don't, then there are FAQs that you can search for on the net
>> for instructions on replacing them. It shouldn't be that difficult
>
>I only found that it's "solder tab mounted CR2032", and a lot of
>information on power adapters. Please give me a pointer.

There's a good FAQ about replacing batteries on SNES carts at
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/super_nintendo_battery_replacement.txt
Gameboy carts are generally about the same, except smaller. From a
few other sites I just checked out, it sounds like 95%+ of Gameboy
carts used the same CR2032 battery size that the NES and SNES carts
did, but a few may use another size (but if they do, the size should
be printed on the battery. Just buy the appropriate type.) The
soldering thing is annoying,but I guess Nintendo didn't want their
batteries coming loose...

In article <jmi9v05j833oa4lgmsj1a6mkkg1d9idofd@4ax.com>,
drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote:

> There's a good FAQ about replacing batteries on SNES carts at
> http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/super_nintendo_battery_replacement.tx

Should do. Thanks!

--
Tobias Weber