New cpu, New z77a-g43 board, new ram = Doesn't Post.

robins_47

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
CPU fan spins but does not post at all.

All brand new components, 500w power supply that is a few years old.

No other possibilities but get a RMA, right?

kissingman

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Because MSI didn't set a buzzer for this motherboard, if the problem is due to RAM, you won't ever know. So if you can, get a buzzer and install it on your motherboard is the best way to solve this problem. But before it, you still can do something to test other components.

Pulling the CPU fan from the motherboard, then Power on and touch the surface by your finger and to see whether CPU will hot (Be careful! You must power off the system in 'very short time', if not, your CPU maybe burn out!). If yes, congratulation! Your CPU work normally.

raybondraybond

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
1. The PSU has 8-pin 12 volt connected to the mobo? Or is it just 4-pin?

2. Have you tried to boot the mobo and cpu without installing RAM? If you did that and 3 beeps are heard, the problem will usually reside on the RAM...or mobo's DIMM slots or...I think that's all I can think off.

Anyway, we have the same mobo! Yay! Mine doesn't work with all 4 dimm installed. :-(. Doesn't even work with dual channel. :-(. Only works with DIMM 1 and 2 installed. Wish me luck.

Cheers,

Raymond

wentworth

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Good afternoon

Your PSU might be out of date. New MTB's and video cards are "power centric" and needs to supply a wide range of phases. Please check with MSI board specs what are the PSU they have tested. It is the very same with video cards, so you will need to check both or go to the PSU site and use the automatic finder for your specific system. The number of beeps and its sequence when booting will tell you exactly what is going wrong as POST is intended to supply just that.

If there is no beep what so ever (please make sure your header is set properly) it will indicate that your MTB is DOA.

MTB vs PSU vs RAM vs video cards compatibility has become the "numero uno" talk of the town and it will stay that way. The new Haswell and Broadwell MTB's should have their CPU "embedded" because it is becoming a huge problem for manufacturers to deal with people that make installation without reading through their user manual. BIOS needs to be set-up before anything else. If you install Windows without making the proper adjustment in the BIOS you will to in circle for quite sometime.

Cheers