Poor performance after new drive and clean install of Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLR2009

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Hey guys,

I recently had a hardware problem with my PC where I was getting constant BSOD's and the culprit was either the drive or the operating that was corrupt because of RAM which had failed 2 months ago..

Microcenter originally built the PC last October and I was getting excellent performace until the RAM Failed which caused constant BSODS and corrupted some of my files. I originally had a Crucial M4 SSD Drive in my PC and 5 Hitachi Storage drives.

I had Microcenter take the SSD out and install a new 500 WD Caviar Black Drive since I don't feel that comfortable working inside a PC . The storage drives were removed also.

I took home my PC and reinstalled Windows 7 64 bit myself. I then installed the motherboard and video card drivers online. I then ran Windows update and installed all the updates. I had my PC running for a few days and no BSODS.

Unfortunately I'm getting poor performace when playing movies. Also If I copy files to my boot drive everything that I do slows down.

I physically installed the 5 Hitachi Drives myself as well. Unfortunately I'm getting poor performance when playing movies on the storage drives as well.

When playing movie and switching to a specific frame, the whole picture gets distorted and messed up and sometimes the movies are unwatchable if there's a lot of movement. I never had this before. I used to get very good performance on all my drives and had no issues playing my videos.

I'm getting better performance on my 3-4 year old PC than on my new one.

Also under "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" it has 2 of my Hitachi drives listed and I can eject them. I never had any drives listed there before since they aren't external drives.

It also has Marvell config ATA Device listed there which I can eject. Is something not setup or installed correctly? My PC is thinking that two of my drives are listed as a USB Device.

When playing movies I only get the distortion when using Splash Pro Ex with Hardware acceleration enabled. When it's disabled there no distortion. I always had this setting enabled before and never had any problems. Why would this setting cause an issue?

Here's my current PC's Secs:

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz 36 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68 DELUXE (LGA1155) 60 °C
Graphics
LED Cinema (1920x1200@60Hz)
AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series (ATI AIB) 43 °C
Hard Drives
2930GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 (SATA) 38 °C
488GB Western Digital WDC WD5002AALX-00J37A0 (SATA) 34 °C
2930GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 ATA Device (SATA) 38 °C
2930GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 ATA Device (SATA) 40 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH12LS38

Note: I'm not using a Raid setup, only JBOD.

Is there some driver that I might have missed? There aren't any alert symbols in Device Manager. I'm not sure what to do next. I never updated Bios, should I?

Please help

I would replace the ssd when you can afford it. Tiger direct had a patriot 60 gb for only $35 the other day after rebate. A bios update won't help; don't do it; it's to correct major issues such as when a cpu upgrade requires a new bios code to post. With the number of drives you're using, your problems could be caused by any number of issues. I always recommend when you install the new ssd, disconnect all the other hardrives and wait until windows loads; install them one by one while windows is running and it will configure the old drives as secondary devices, leaving the ssd bootdrive as the only boot device. I don't know what microcenter charged you, but some craigslist techs will check and fix your pc for a flat rate of around $40. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.