psp vs ds

Now that i've played the psp here are my thoughts:

Nintendo has it's work cut out - the new (not DS) gameboy has to be more
impressive than the psp for one simple reason. The screen.
Seeing the PSP's screen is like falling in love for the first time. It
really is large, clear and amazing to look at. The hardware is
incredible - RRacer looks amazing BUT..

The design of the machine whilst great to look at is as far as I'm
concerned pretty shoddy. The machine is quite heavy and not comfortable
for a pocket. The shoulder buttons feel cheap and some of the other
switches look like they're about to fall off at any moment (they
wobble). The main criticism I have though is the analogue stick. It is
positioned way too low to be comfortable for play and on my system it is
quite imprecise and has a habit of sticking (I can only assume that this
will get worse with time) I am not impressed - in fact the whole machine
feels quite uncomfortable to use after just a short space of time.

But if sony are hoping to draw people in on first impressions they have
succeeded. The screen and power of the thing are incredible. I'm not
sure if this is what the strength of portable gaming is about though.

Dom.

manfatto wrote:

> Now that i've played the psp here are my thoughts:
>
> Nintendo has it's work cut out - the new (not DS) gameboy has to be more
> impressive than the psp for one simple reason. The screen.
> Seeing the PSP's screen is like falling in love for the first time. It
> really is large, clear and amazing to look at. The hardware is
> incredible - RRacer looks amazing BUT..
>
> The design of the machine whilst great to look at is as far as I'm
> concerned pretty shoddy. The machine is quite heavy and not comfortable
> for a pocket. The shoulder buttons feel cheap and some of the other
> switches look like they're about to fall off at any moment (they
> wobble). The main criticism I have though is the analogue stick. It is
> positioned way too low to be comfortable for play and on my system it is
> quite imprecise and has a habit of sticking (I can only assume that this
> will get worse with time) I am not impressed - in fact the whole machine
> feels quite uncomfortable to use after just a short space of time.
>
> But if sony are hoping to draw people in on first impressions they have
> succeeded. The screen and power of the thing are incredible. I'm not
> sure if this is what the strength of portable gaming is about though.
>
> Dom.

my psp feels real comfortable. its a brill machine, best thing ever on
the market. RR is just pure brilliance...

AWESOME MACHINE ! the 5 inch screen is the best ive ever seen !

On 2005-01-23, !DrBukkake! <!DrBukkake!@geeeenmail.com> wrote:
> manfatto wrote:
>
>> Now that i've played the psp here are my thoughts:
>>
>> Nintendo has it's work cut out - the new (not DS) gameboy has to be more
>> impressive than the psp for one simple reason. The screen.
>> Seeing the PSP's screen is like falling in love for the first time. It
>> really is large, clear and amazing to look at. The hardware is
>> incredible - RRacer looks amazing BUT..
>>
>> The design of the machine whilst great to look at is as far as I'm
>> concerned pretty shoddy. The machine is quite heavy and not comfortable
>> for a pocket. The shoulder buttons feel cheap and some of the other
>> switches look like they're about to fall off at any moment (they
>> wobble). The main criticism I have though is the analogue stick. It is
>> positioned way too low to be comfortable for play and on my system it is
>> quite imprecise and has a habit of sticking (I can only assume that this
>> will get worse with time) I am not impressed - in fact the whole machine
>> feels quite uncomfortable to use after just a short space of time.
>>
>> But if sony are hoping to draw people in on first impressions they have
>> succeeded. The screen and power of the thing are incredible. I'm not
>> sure if this is what the strength of portable gaming is about though.
>>
>> Dom.
>>

> my psp feels real comfortable. its a brill machine, best thing ever on
> the market. RR is just pure brilliance...
>
> AWESOME MACHINE ! the 5 inch screen is the best ive ever seen !

Not everyone wants to play brilliant 3D games on the go, just so you know.
So this may not be the blowout you all seem to believe.

I'm sticking with the GBA, thanks.

Preston

> Not everyone wants to play brilliant 3D games on the go, just so you
> know. So this may not be the blowout you all seem to believe.

To me, this is more a question of proportion. Not the handheld, I mean
the game. I personally think they ought to have at least some games that
are not cut/shorter or intended for quick-play only.

I'm looking out for games that -so far- were not brought over to
handheld gaming, because either they were to complex or they were to
'big' in the sense that they had a gameworld that requires a lot of room
on whatever CD or cardridge they were being played.

Still wondering what Xenosaga on the DS is going to look like. This game
is huge! But the cardridges are comparably small (128 Megabytes or so, I
hear).

There are some very big games for the GBA, and bigger games like FF6 are
easily possible, but for some reason they were never made. Don't ask me
why... don't know.

> Not everyone wants to play brilliant 3D games on the go, just so you know.

Exactly, I can't see myself trying to get absorbed into a game of Final
Fantasy or Metal Gear while I'm stuck on a train, I'll stick to my PC
for that kind of experience. As far as I can see, the only advantage the
PSP has over the DS is it's graphics and screen size...ok the analogue
stick would have been nice for the likes of Mario DS but it's not a game
killer.

Movies are a moot point as there is no way I'll pay for a PSP only movie
and the DS has it's more versatile video player add-on. I also have a
30Gig MP3 player so that feature is of no attraction.