Help chosing a Mother board

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonwr6000

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
Hi there,

I just want to get some advice from some knowledgeable people regarding building a PC. Ive never built a pc before but always wanted to.

I currently have an Acer Asprire T690, core 2 Duo 4400 @ 2 Ghz. 2 gb of Ram. This pc seemed quite fast when I bought it 5 years ago but it now seems very slow and sluggish, despite always using utilities to try and keep it fast.

So I know its about time to get a new pc, but I don’t want to buy a pre-built one again as I feel they are a rip off. Im also looking forward to building one myself

I must stress that the computer I want to build is NOT for gaming. I just want a very fast pc that will last me a few years before I need to upgrade again. So I don’t need a graphics card, the integrated one on the motherboard will be sufficient.

So to start off, I just have a few questions regarding the motherboard and CPU.

I’ve done a little bit of research myself but as I’m new at this I’m a little bit unsure which is the best options regarding the parts I’ve picked out so far as the spec details seem a little foreign to me… So your experienced advice would be greatly appreciated.

These are the motherboards I’ve picked out but don’t know which one is best. I’ve compared the specs side by side on the website but am still unsure which one is best. I am leaning towards the P8Z77-V LK . Can you please rate these 3 motherboards in order. (ie) 1st, 2nd, 3rd best.

Asus P8Z77 –M PRO $135

Asus P8Z77- V LX $138

Asus P8Z77- V LK $165

Now to the CPU.

I definitely want a 3rd Gen cpu and these are the ones I’ve picked out… Obviously I want the one that’s the best value for money. Once again, Im quite ignorant in this matter so some help would be appreciated. Ive always assumed that an i7 processor is much faster than i5, but from what I read recently this is doesn’t seem the case ?

I recently read an article that was comparing the i5 3570k and the i7 3770K. The article says “ the core i5 3570K has a peak turbo frequency of 3.8Ghz, and it’s just a fraction slower than the vastly more expensive i7 3770K” This article confused me as I assumed i7 models were always quite a bit faster than i5 models…….

Im aware that the K models are for overclocking so my first question is, Is overclocking usually only done for gamers ? Does a general computer user (non gamer ) ever overclock to speed up their PC in general ? So firstly do I go for a K model or a non K model ?

If the i7 is only a fraction faster than the i5, I was tossing up between the i5 3570K and the i5 3570 as they are quite a bit cheaper than the i7 3770

As you can see the from the prices below, the i5 K model is only $8 more than the i5 non K model so I’m assuming it would better to get the K model ? ?

Also pls advice if that article is wrong in regards to the i7 only being a fraction fast than the i5.

So can you pls advice which cpu to get in regards to speed and value for money

i7 3770 3.4 to 3.9Ghz L3 8mb $319

i5 3570K 3.4 to 3.8Ghz L3 6mb $241

i5 3570 3.4 to 3.8Ghz L3 6mb $233

i5 3550 3.3 to 3.7Ghz L3 6mb $216

well, that’s all for now. I Just want to start of with the motherboard and cpu.

Advance Thanks for your help and knowledge.

Cheers,
Jason

Solution
both core i5 and core i7are quad cores but the difference between i7 and i5 is hyber threading which allow every one physical core to process tow threads
but almost all programes and all games don't support more than 4threads so core i5 and i7 have the same performance for most applications ,but if you want it for professional programs i7 definitely faster
and actually i dont recommend you to make overclocking because it shortening CPU life but any i5 non K version allow you to overclock it 400mhz
finally i suggest these PC component
i5-3570K (i5K version come with HD4000 graphics card and i5 non K version come with HD2500 IGP)
Asus P8Z77 –M PRO $135
2x4GB 1600
1TB seagate 7200(not 5900 version)

oxford373

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
both core i5 and core i7are quad cores but the difference between i7 and i5 is hyber threading which allow every one physical core to process tow threads
but almost all programes and all games don't support more than 4threads so core i5 and i7 have the same performance for most applications ,but if you want it for professional programs i7 definitely faster
and actually i dont recommend you to make overclocking because it shortening CPU life but any i5 non K version allow you to overclock it 400mhz
finally i suggest these PC component
i5-3570K (i5K version come with HD4000 graphics card and i5 non K version come with HD2500 IGP)
Asus P8Z77 –M PRO $135
2x4GB 1600
1TB seagate 7200(not 5900 version)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.