Multi-mon alt-tab lag worsens over time?!

adhunt99

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Hi everyone.

I have a q8200, radeon 5850 (xfx black) and 8g ram. Monitors (exended display) benq GL2440HM (max 1920) and Acer mw221u
(max 1650).

My problem is that when I start up my computer the displays work fine, I can play LOL at 1920 on the benq and have videos (vlc/embedded firefox HD streams/tv tuner) running on the Acer. When I alt tab out of the game, the time is about 1 second to return to the desktop.

However, it seems that after I've had the computer on for hours using the monitors in this way, the lag between hitting alt tab and the desktop coming up gets as much as 10 seconds, with both screens turning black and even some audio stuttering.

Restarting the computer fixes the problem but it's reallly annoying having to do it all the time. Any thoughts on what it could be or how I could solve it? It's almost like the graphics drivers (I'm using latest but it happened before too) are giving up the ghost or the memory on the card isn't clearing properly... I dunno I'm a noob but help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Andrew

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I can't agree with that. Now with some games it does seem like it causes issues, while others you can alt tab all day long and never even have a hic up.

Does it happen to all games or do you play one in particular? Have you noticed your frame rates dropping down the longer you play?

adhunt99

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

Thanks - it's mostly in LoL that I've noticed it - I'll keep an eye on the framerates tomorrow and see how it goes!

adhunt99

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Hi - after a restart it seems that FPS are good but then drops by about 10 in LOL after hours of gaming, alt tabbing etc. Seems to happen more in LOL than other games.