Realtek High Definition Audio - Not plugged in

ziggynerja

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Hello there,

I've been having this problem for a while now and just cant figure it out. I have the Logitech x540 5.1 surround sound system, plugged into the back of my PC. Green(front), black (rear) and orange (center) are all plugged in.

Here is the playback devices window:
captureyh.jpg

Notice in my audio manager screenshot (below) none of the front, rear or center cables have been detected.

The only way I can get audio is if I check the checkbox "Disable front panel detection", but as you can see in the screenshot below its detecting it as "front panel" and therefore I dont have surround sound as the center and rear cables still arnt detected..

12827959.jpg

Infact, only my right speaker is working with this "fix".. I just dont understand why its detecting "back panel" as "front panel"

What ive tried:

- Reinstalled audio drivers 100 times

- Formatted my pc

- Removed the front panel audio cable to my motherboard

- Tried another speakers (2.1)

- Flashed bios to "last good settings"

This is driving me nuts, I just bought these speakers..

Could it be a hardware issue? Is it worth trying to flash the bios again to "default settings"

Really appreciate any help here!

ziggynerja

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

I've set it up as a 5.1 system in the speakers configuration, and also in the audio manager software. It's still showing nothing is plugged in.

I cant set the device to "default" because its "not plugged in" and that option is greyed out.

Is this starting to sound like a hardware issue?

ziggynerja

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

Oh really? Well I did try to let windows automatically install the drivers, after uninstalling current ones and restarting the PC. Didnt work either.. :(

Ive tried both, from the Realtek website. I will try the HD ones again when I'm home from work, as I think I only tested that once.

But surely the drivers windows automatically installs should be the correct ones right?

:cry:

davedurg09

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
You need to HD audio drivers to get the 5.1 to work I believe, but this does cause a problem where your front panel audio ports will stop working, this is what is happening on my pc.

I think the front ports need the AC 97 drivers to work, if you installed both drivers that could have caused the issue, for example if you install the HD drivers then the AC 97 ones, the AC 97 drivers could have overwritten the HD drivers or vise versa.

ziggynerja

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

Ahhhh right...

You are right, front was using AC97. I remember seeing the HD and AC97 ports on my motherboard for front panel, and it couldnt reach the HD one.

But I did unplug the front panel, so it shouldn't be picking it up surely?

Ok so, ill download the HD drivers from Realteks site. Uninstall all audio drivers present. Disable internet so that it wont automatically download+install new drivers. Reboot. Install new drivers

ziggynerja

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Ok tried that, and also updated my bios. No luck... :(

I don't understand this at all...It's just always "Not plugged In"

edit: It does seem to detect my two digital ( S/PDIF ) jacks though, which don't have anything connected(as seen in first screenshot). Could this be causing any issues?

edit: also would like to mention when i turn the volume up via the logitech remote, there is a loud fuzzy sound. Even when the volume is up only half way.