CPU HEATING AFTER INSTALLING NEW GRAPHICS CARD

diptanjanchakraborty

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
HI,
Recently I bought a new configuration without any Graphics Card as my vendor said my Intel DH61WW has 1 gb lower end GPU inbuilt.

Configs are :
Processor : Intel Core i5 2310 2.9 GhZ (LGA-1155)
Motherboard : Intel DH61WW classic series
Memory : Kingston 4GBxDDR3 1333
Power Supply : Foxin (kind of a local indian brand) 500W SMPS
Cabinet : Cooler Master
HDD : WD 500GB

2 extra fans are there on the side of the cabinet and one in the back under the smps

it was working nice and the processor heat was around 43-47 degrees. But YESTERDAY I BOUGHT AN AMD RADEON HD6670 1GB GDDR5 GRAPHICS CARD . AND AFTER PUTTING THAT IN I CAN SEE A NOTICEABLE CHANCE IN MY CPU TEMP IN THE BIOS CONFIG .

now the NEW Temperature's ARE:
Processor temp : 65 degrees
PCH temperature : 51-52 degrees
MEMORY TEMP : 41 degrees

now my question is , what is the reason for this heat change? the GPU needs more power and the SMPS is not supplying enough? or its the Factory heat-sinks of Intel that i need to change? what will be the solution ? please help

THIS IS MY FIRST Q IN TOMS HARDWARE :D Looking forward guys :D

Solution
The main thing to me looks like the temperature inside the case has risen up.
Since the card (GPU) has it's vent within the case itself, not blowing out the hot air from the back, it's only a half covered card.
What you need to do is remove one of the fans which blow air into the case from the side panel and fix it at the backside of the case to pull hot air out of the case.
That will help reduce temps a bit.
Since you have a new hardware in the rig, the temps are certainly not going to go all the way down to what they were, this card takes power from the PCIe slot, so the temps are going to increase since more power is being drawn from the mobo then was earlier.
And this power to the PCIe slot is controlled by the mobo, so it has to...
The main thing to me looks like the temperature inside the case has risen up.
Since the card (GPU) has it's vent within the case itself, not blowing out the hot air from the back, it's only a half covered card.
What you need to do is remove one of the fans which blow air into the case from the side panel and fix it at the backside of the case to pull hot air out of the case.
That will help reduce temps a bit.
Since you have a new hardware in the rig, the temps are certainly not going to go all the way down to what they were, this card takes power from the PCIe slot, so the temps are going to increase since more power is being drawn from the mobo then was earlier.
And this power to the PCIe slot is controlled by the mobo, so it has to work a little bit more ..... and will dissipate more heat.

Solution

diptanjanchakraborty

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
@alyoshka - ok ive placed two fans in the rear as outlet and one in the side that draws the cool air inside . but when i downloaded the CORE TEMP software the 4 cores are on 57 degrees after playing a heavy game and 43-45 on normal. BUT CPU TEMP ARE STILL RISING FROM 65 to 67 when i check it on bios .

@13thmonkey - are you talking about any software to monitor CPU heat like core temp?

The temps shown in the BIOS are going to be high because of no power management in play there. The moment the system gets into the OS, the power settings come into play. Although this may not be the case with all boards.
What can be advised now is that check the HW Monitor in the BIOS and set up fans speeds according to the temps.
There is a possibility of the setting being at 55C or 60C to control the fan speed. Change it and make it lower towards 40C. That way when ever the CPU touches or crosses the 40C mark, the fan will automatically spin up to 100% cooling it down, also make change the minimum fan speed to 40% or 30%.