Sign in with
Your question

First build

Last response: in Systems
July 12, 2011 9:40:22 PM

I'm just trying to build a basic home computer for lots of multitasking and photo editing.

Here's what i have so far:
-Biostar TA880GU3+
-AMD Phenom II x4 955 black edition
-G.Skill Ripjaw 16gb (4x4) DDR3 1333
-OCZ vertex series 30BG SSD for OS
-3x Seagate barracuda 2tb hdd
-Samsung Sata Blu-ray drive
-logisys 550w PS
-Raidmax Skyline ATX-948WB Case
-Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit

Again not trying for a gaming computer just a basic home computer for multitasking and photo editing that is plenty fast with plenty of space that won't be out of date compared to cookie cutter models from the store.

Any suggestions on better compatibility or getting a little more speed out of it for a similar cost is much appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

More about : build

July 12, 2011 9:46:41 PM

You should be fine with 8GB of RAM. Do you really need 6TB of space? You would be better off investing on a GPU and keeping one of those HDD.
July 12, 2011 9:53:46 PM

8GB RAM seems a bit much, you should be fine with 4.

Also, get 4 HDD's and set up a RAID. Even if it's a RAID 0, it's better than just having them dumped there. I would do a RAID 1 or 5 but to each their own. Also, why the need for 6TB as listed? Images are small, you could get pretty far with a single 2TB HDD. Also, if you plan to Install Photoshop and other Adobe products, you may want a larger boot drive/SSD. 30GB seems a bit small.

Get a different PSU as well. Logysis are complete crap. If you need a budget one, look at Corsair "Builder" series. You wouldn't need anything more than 500 and I would trust that system on a 380W if you could get a good deal on a Thermaltake or Antec.
Related resources
July 12, 2011 10:21:21 PM

As bohleyk says, 8GB would be fine for memory - 16 is probably over kill.

If you can get a larger SSD Drive to put your image editing software on that would improve the software's performance no end.

I think that 3 HDDs are a bit OTT. You could get two 2TB ones in RAID 1 (safer, 2TB total) or RAID 0 (faster, 4TB total).

I'd question going down the AMD route to be honest, although this is more a matter of opinion. ATM Sandy Bridge beats it clock-for-clock, is more efficient and overclocks better. Though I see the draw of the low price for the 955, I'd probably be looking at Intel, if the budget allowed it. That or waiting to see what Bulldozer holds, if that's an option at all.

I'd second bohleyk's suggestion of a GPU (even a basic one so long as it's fairly new, though most should be able to support OpenGL 2.0 and Shader Model 3.0 for GPU-acceleration in Photoshop).

I also agree with puttsy - don't go for a cheapy PSU. Get one from a name brand.

What's your budget like?
July 12, 2011 11:28:24 PM

Wow 6TB? I have a gazilion videos and not reached 1TB yet. One 2TB drive would be fine, and use the rest of the money on a larger SSD

(Go all SSD if you just won the lottery.)

You may even take 2x1TB instead and RAID 0 for better performance. If you want back up, get an external hdd instead of RAID 5 or RAID 1.
!