Best way to spend 400$ on (a) graphics card(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished
what the thread says. i am building a gaming computer for my friend and he has 400$ out of 1500$ to spend on graphics cards, ha has a trio sli capable motherboark and an i5 2500k if you are wondering. I resently found a gtx 560 ti with rebate 199 but that deal has expired. and what r your thoughts on tri sli'ing 55o ti's?

Solution
mjmj, If you are not afraid of risking with the BIOS flash *6950 to 6970* and don't care about PhysX then 6950 will be great for you, but recently i've heard a lot that 6950 BIOS flash does not work anymore, also many people keep saying that it reduces it's lifetime and might have problems. If you don't want to risk then 570 *or 6970 if you can find cheap* is best choice IMO, it will be more or less the same performance as 6970 and it also has PhysX*570*.

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished

refined my last post.

go for a single gtx 570, then sli a second down the road, they scale better than 580s and are darn close in sli performance, plus from my experiences crossfire drivers are crap...I got mine (pny tx 570) for 304 AR you could save some money and if your friend is playing at 1080p then the 570 will be more than enough for right now, imo (when oc'ed mine is practically a gtx 580) prior to this I had crossfire 6870s and hated them

shrkbay

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
^Yes, or he probably can also go for CF *SLI is more expensive and gives less performance* or a single AMD card, but for ~400$ budget i highly recommend GTX 570, it'll give enough *and even more* performance on 1080p.

well im speaking from personal expirience and after being fed up and selling the pair I am much happier with a single card, just saying if your minimum fps is crap and you are expirienceing microstutter consistently across several games and drivers have spent a lot of money on gpus then it is not worth it, just saying, toms does not paint the whole picture trust me...

phenom90

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
since you have 400 to spend you 'll likely ended up deciding between gtx 570 and hd 6970... even though i would like to recommend gtx 580(it's a 500 dollars card) so it exceed your budget.... i'll take on gtx 570 since i'm playing with this card now.. and everything is great... and below is what i recommend... since it is built with custom pcb... it should handle voltage tweaking better than reference model... and not to mention it doing so at lower operating temperatures compared to reference card...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127582

agreed

Whenever I've ever said anything about ATi drivers being poopy a flamefest normally ensues so I've left that subject alone for a while and it is amusing seeing the ATi problem posts turning up left right and center.

Status
Not open for further replies.