Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GeForce GT 330m crashes computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 1, 2011 2:30:42 PM

Hi guys,

I'm just new here. I recently encountered this troublesome problem.

I own a Samsung R480, i5 M430 with the GeForce GT330m.

First of all, I'm not 100% sure it's the graphics card that is causing the problem, but the chances are pretty high. About a month ago, my graphics card started crashing randomly. The screen would go black (for around 2 seconds), then back to normal, with a message in the taskbar saying something like the graphics card crashed, then it recovered. It wasn't affecting anything on my computer so I just ignored it for about 2-3 weeks (bad idea right?).

Eventually, it stopped crashing. I'm not exactly sure when, but I'm guessing it's about the same time my games started crashing my computer. By crash I mean the computer just turns itself off without any warning or anything. What happens is when I play a game, 2 to 3 minutes in, it starts slowing down (but never freezes). The FPS drops constantly up to a point where the game becomes unplayable (only takes around 2 minutes for this to happen). At this point, my computer just dies. If I turn it on IMMEDIATELY, it just turns itself off after 2-3 seconds. If I wait around 10-30 seconds, it boots up fine. And by fine I mean as if nothing happened. Sometimes though it will take me to the screen where you can start it in safe mode or normally.

Let me say this now - the games that encounter this crash were working fine before all these started happening. I thought it was the latest driver, so I installed the old version that was working well about 6 months ago. Didn't work. I reformatted (as in clean install of everything inside). Didn't work. I didn't download any Windows Updates. Didn't work. I set the settings to as low as possible. Still slows down and kills my pc.
I thought it was a directx problem, but I can't uninstall directx 11 anyway.

I also did an assessment of my WEI 2 times (after reformatting). Before the scores were (from processor down to Disk rate) 6.6, 5.9, 6.4, 6.4, 5.9. This was during the time where everything was running smoothly. After the first assessment, the processor score went down from 6.6 to 5.7. Graphics and gaming graphics went down from 6.4, 6.4 to 5.1, 3.6. After the 2nd, it went up to 5.9, 4.9.

I'm out of options. I would appreciate it if anyone knows this kind of situation. Thanks

Best solution

a c 155 Î Nvidia
a c 1362 U Graphics card
May 1, 2011 3:33:57 PM

Looks like a temp issue make sure all vents are dust and lint free. If it is under warranty I would contact manufacturer.
May 1, 2011 4:01:40 PM

OMG. I knew it had some sort of overheating issue. I deeply thank you for reminding me that.

Luckily I own an air duster. I started using it on one of the vents and guess what, LOADS of dust when out on the other vents. I spread the use of the duster and ran another assessment, now they're all up to normal.

Thanks again!
m
l
Related resources
a c 155 Î Nvidia
a c 1362 U Graphics card
May 1, 2011 6:41:50 PM

blitz0623 said:
OMG. I knew it had some sort of overheating issue. I deeply thank you for reminding me that.

Luckily I own an air duster. I started using it on one of the vents and guess what, LOADS of dust when out on the other vents. I spread the use of the duster and ran another assessment, now they're all up to normal.

Thanks again!

Keep those vents clean they are important :sol: 
m
l
May 10, 2011 11:56:18 PM

Best answer selected by blitz0623.
m
l
!