Sign in with
Your question

~ $600 Gaming Build (Updated, need a check)

Last response: in Systems
July 12, 2011 10:36:32 PM

(updated at bottom)

Hey all, I'm looking to possibly build a new system in the near future and I'm just browsing at parts so I'll know what i want to get when the time comes. I had this all typed out but when I tried to post I lost everything, so this might be a little jumbled. But basically what I'm looking for is a decent build for gaming. I've already got a video card in my comp right now that I'll be bringing over to the new one (radeon 4670HD). My main concern ATM is which motherboard to get, a P67 or a Z68. (Looking around a $150 ish price range) I've been hearing things about both and thought I would come here for some advice since I've never been steered wrong on these forums. I'm not sure if I'll get a SSD right away but I like what im seeing about them so I might add one in the future, either for caching (if I get a Z68) or as the main drive if they start getting bigger/cheaper in time.

Approximate Purchase Date: Unsure

Budget Range: ~$500-600

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, internet, maybe some video encoding.

Parts Not Required:Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, video card, probably going to save HDD and DVD drive from current build.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Maybe get some from amazon.ca when I can, just because I've had good luck with them in the past.

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: Looking for Intel i5-2500k processor, and USB 3.0 ports on the mobo (and possibly that fancy new EFI BIOS)

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe but most likely not.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Looking for a case with good airflow as it tends to get hot in my room in the summer. Looking at COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case right now. Might add a window and some fancy LED fans to it in the future.
July 13, 2011 1:41:02 AM

In another thread, my last build i got it right, finally. Its my last build at the bottom of the page.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/315016-31-1000-gaming...
-the board is a crossfire board, if you have a geforce card, swap the board out for a sli board. Also if the sli board takes ddr3-1600 you will want different memory.

Mostly check out the sentry case and kingwin 850 watt, they seem good for the money.
I think the 2500k is cheaper on other sites than newegg now.

-Becareful, some intel 1155 boards don't let you overclock the 2500k like the h-61. don't get a h61 board.

The same parts should be on the .ca newegg site too.
July 13, 2011 1:50:18 AM

Its a waste of money to build a computer with a massively powerful cpu and a bottom end graphics card .

Unless you intend to upgrade the graphics card too then this is not a good upgrade
Related resources
July 13, 2011 2:06:18 AM

Well that card still seems new to me but I guess it's been almost 2 years since I got it. I guess I would end up replacing it in the future as well, but for now, if I kept it and upgraded the rest of my system it would still speed up other operations like extracting files, encoding videos, burning DVD's wouldn't it? Also, I think my CPU might be bottle-necking my system ATM so an upgrade would help with that as well, then I could upgrade the graphics card later on down the road.
July 13, 2011 3:37:35 AM

encoding files .......yes

file transfers ... maybe .This is dependent on hard drive speeds not processor speeds. To an external USB3 hard drive through mb USB3 port there will be speed improvements for sure

burning DVD's ....no . The limitation here is the speed of the dvd drive not the processor .

You do say gaming is the most common usage . Depending on your current mb/ RAM/cpu and operating system you might be able to improve gaming a lot more by changing the graphics card and keeping everything else .
Also depends on your budget too .
July 13, 2011 4:04:23 AM

I meant more for like extracting .rar files. And ya, thats true about the DVD drive, but I guess I meant more like the conversion process before the actual burn. That uses up my processor pretty bad. As well, when I'm gaming my CPU is usually at 95% or higher so that's what leads me to wanting a new processor. If I did get a 2500k, what would the best type of mobo be to get? Some people say to get a P67 cause the extra features on a Z68 aren't needed and some say Z68 if you're going to be gaming.
July 13, 2011 4:04:28 AM

I meant more for like extracting .rar files. And ya, thats true about the DVD drive, but I guess I meant more like the conversion process before the actual burn. That uses up my processor pretty bad. As well, when I'm gaming my CPU is usually at 95% or higher so that's what leads me to wanting a new processor. If I did get a 2500k, what would the best type of mobo be to get? Some people say to get a P67 cause the extra features on a Z68 aren't needed and some say Z68 if you're going to be gaming.
July 13, 2011 5:53:57 AM

Ok in my $1000 build the cards alone are close to $500 for a pair of hd-6950's.

If you take the cards out, its about $500. Then take out the drive and dvd burner if you don't need them. Maybe the 2500k is cheaper somewhere else saving a little bit more. $450 total?

It's a crossfire board so its easy to put a pair of new amd cards in later on, the 850 watt kingwin lets you choose whatever cards you want, the case has 4 12cm fans with a fan controller, 4gigs of memory,

The 4670 is a ok card with 320 shaders, its about the same as the 6550.
Its better than anything onboard.

-Ok i see your point, $500 now and $500 later. So use the 4670 for a year, then maybe the hd-6950 will be out with even more shaders, so it will be easy to drop in a pair of directx12 hd-6950's later on (I am just guessing amd has not said they are releasing this card). The 2500k is pretty fast so it will still be good enough then for a pair of new cards.

With that build i tried the phenomIIx4 and it only saved a crummy $100. It's not worth it for such a small savings to get a much slower cpu even if you don't need the extra cpu power today. A faster cpu will go outdated slower.
July 13, 2011 1:59:56 PM

I don't plan on doing crossfire really, but it does seem like a good idea to spend the extra $ to get a board that supports it just in case I decide to in the future. That seems like a hell of a good PSU for the money. I was looking at like a 430W one for close to the same price. I was told not to go with a micro ATX mobo, and instead go for like a normal size and either get a P67 or a Z68 instead.
July 16, 2011 7:55:56 PM

after some research and decisions, i basically decided this was the right way to go for me.
Future Upgrade
I plan on keeping my HDD, and DVD drive, and video card, as well as monitor and mouse and all that, and ill probably end up getting a SSD in the future when they go down in price and up in capacity, and upgrading the video card as well. Anybody see compatibility issues with any parts or anything that doesn't belong?

EDIT: wasnt public. my bad
July 17, 2011 6:46:56 PM

bumping. just need some final checks. heard i should try to go for the HAF 922 instead to give me more room, and i should reconsider the PSU. thoughts?

also going to be playing Skyrim on it if i buy before nov.
!