Sign in with
Your question

Networking

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
November 13, 2000 2:24:53 AM

I networked my house to my fathers. No problems, can send files seamlessly, print to his printers ect. However I can't ping him. The most basic thing, but it just says something like "unknown host" or "request time out", ect. This wouldn't bother me but I can't use PCAnywhere 9. Just won't see him. Has me absolutly baffled... Downloaded Linkview Classic Network Analyzer and it isn't seeing any errors at all! What the ?????

More about : networking

November 13, 2000 5:40:29 AM

Try setting each computer with an IP number. Set the main server at 192.138.255.1, the next computer at 192.138.255.2 and so on. After that, try pinging your father. Plus, if you are running an NT or 2000 network, remember to set permissions to alow yourself to ping eachother. From the sounds of it, it sounds like you are using "automatically assign an ip", which is a definate no no. Never let windows take over your network.
Anonymous
November 28, 2000 12:53:27 AM

If you are pinging by host/computer name instead try using the machine's IP address. Remember Microsoft windows products like 192.168.0.1 as the IP address for the server/gateway and 192.168.0.x for the workstations. Also use 255.255.255.0 for the netmask. Finally make sure you are using TCP/IP as the network protocol on each machine - you shouldn’t need any other protocols (except in some rare situations. ie. NetBEUI for playing MS Hearts on networked Win95 machines).
!