Sign in with
Your question

Possible CPU problem

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 9, 2011 3:35:28 PM

I built a system about 5 month ago and all has been running smoothly, but the other day when i went to turn the system on it would just turn on for a couple of seconds then turn off and back on and would repeat this process. I check all the connections and re-set the GPU and ram, this allowed the system to power on but i was faced with a new problem

and it just stays like this.

I have swapped out the ram and the gpu but get the same problem so im beginning to think it could be a problem with the CPU.

Any input would be great

More about : cpu problem

a c 218 à CPUs
October 9, 2011 4:10:37 PM

On the MB is there a clear cmos button or in the MB manual is there a jumper setting to either clear cmos or switch to the other bios.
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2011 4:16:57 PM

Yup, I'd try the other BIOS as suggested above and clearing CMOS.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2011 7:09:44 PM

If this is the Gigabyte ud3 I had the same problem, ended up RMA'ing the mobo and got a asus extreme3 instead. I hope the BIOS fixes things for you.
a c 103 à CPUs
October 9, 2011 8:24:07 PM

RMA, motherboard has gone bad.
a b à CPUs
October 10, 2011 4:09:13 AM

Gigabyte has a decent warranty.

1) Fill out this form: http://rma.gigabyte.us/DirectRMA/EndUser_Main.asp
It took me two days to get my RMA approved, then I shipped it in(At my cost). After they emailed me a shipping label/RMA number and some more info to fill out. Mine failed after 3 months, but I think it's a 2 or a 3 year warranty so you should be well within fine, minus the cost of shipping. It took about a week for them to get it, and they sent out an email saying they received it, and that's where I am right now. In all it seems like at least a two week process, so if you need a computer in the interum, buy a replacement board and sell the board GB sends you back, or return the temporary board depending on your own moral guidance.
a c 103 à CPUs
October 10, 2011 9:48:11 AM

GB has 3 years from date of manufacture, which is based on serial number.

Couple of days to get RMA and about £10 by courier.

Word of warning, make sure cpu socket has protective cap over and take photos so they can't come back and say it has been damged by user/courier thus voiding warranty.
!