Sign in with
Your question

Power down and restart issues

Last response: in Motherboards
July 2, 2012 3:10:05 PM

Where to begin...
After adding a new SSD this weekend I ran into some errors that made me need to re-install windows 7...twice. It was because I would forget to switch the BIOS back to AHCI after updating the BIOS. Basically I had a hell of a time putting in the new hardware - beginners mistakes. I also upgraded my ram from 8gb to 16gb.
After the second win 7 install and re-flashing the BIOS to be the most current version I am now experiencing two odd issues. Upon a reboot my computer (CPU,PSU, fans, everything) shuts down for 3-5 seconds and then powers back up. It slows the whole reboot time by about 15 seconds or so. I know it's slower because on my old 80gb intel SSD things we super fast and I expected them to be even faster with my new 256GB Plextor M3 pro SSD.
Now, that's issue #1. Issue #2 is when I actually "shut down" the computer windows seems to shutdown properly (monitor has no signal from computer) but the actual computer, fans and all stay running. If I press and hold the power button on the front of the computer it then powers down. Upon starting it I never get a "computer shut down improperly" message. It just starts up as if nothing was wrong.
After the new install of Win 7 I had about 200 updates plus all the drivers I manually installed and still, nothing seems to be fixing the issue. I did check device manager - nothing there is preventing it from powering down.
I'm getting great SSD performance (300w/400r) and everything does seem to be running fine. I just am afraid that I'm damaging something every time I restart or shutdown. I haven't tried to put it to sleep yet, not sure what that will do.
I don't have the time to start from scratch again, re installing Win 7 and such.

More about : power restart issues

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 2, 2012 3:52:10 PM

I would use the ssd software to format or clone the ssd, depending on how large the files are on your old hardrive. Sleep mode doesn't work well on some newer boards; I avoid it. With an ssd, it will boot up so fast you won't need to use sleep mode. I recommend you disconnect your old hardrive while installing windows; install the old drive after windows is running and it will configure it as the secondary drive automatically. The sudden reboot could be a short somewhere. You may want to check the backplate for contact somewhere or remount the board and check for something loose underneath. Reseat all the power supply connectors to the board.
m
l
July 3, 2012 2:33:47 AM

o1die said:
I would use the ssd software to format or clone the ssd, depending on how large the files are on your old hardrive. Sleep mode doesn't work well on some newer boards; I avoid it. With an ssd, it will boot up so fast you won't need to use sleep mode. I recommend you disconnect your old hardrive while installing windows; install the old drive after windows is running and it will configure it as the secondary drive automatically. The sudden reboot could be a short somewhere. You may want to check the backplate for contact somewhere or remount the board and check for something loose underneath. Reseat all the power supply connectors to the board.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did try to put it in sleep mode just to see what happens and windows went into sleep mode but all the components stayed on and then I couldn't get it to wake up. Holding the power button to power it off and then pushing it to power on brought it back awake. All the apps where open still. It slept, but it needed a hard shut off/on to wake back up.
I think I'll try your suggestions of cloning my old drive. I just ordered a usb 3.0 enclosure for it so once that's in I'll clone it that way instead of connecting it via SATA.
I did check all the supply connectors and everything seemed fine.
m
l
!