How am I wacthing blu-ray on my not HDCP compliant screen?

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Ok, I read somewhere that in order to play blu-ray, you need a HDCP compliant monitor.

Well, is that only to LCDs/LEDs, or are CRTs affected too? Im using DVI-VGA cable (DVI ouput from videocard, VGA input on monitor)

Cause Im plying blu-ray and HD-DVD on a 2004 CRT monitor, wich was lets say, the worst of its line.

Solution
No, I don't believe all 1080p HDTV's are HDCP but newer ones should be.

HDCP is just another lame anti piracy scheme that causes more trouble for honest consumers than it does for the real crooks but if you have a choice between an HDCP compliant TV and one that isn't I'd go for the complaint one.

JeffDeWitt

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011

The monitor doesn't care, if it's fed a signal it can understand it will display it.

You just aren't seeing the picture in HD.

My cable box is HD but after my old flat panel TV died I was watching HD shows (lot of great car stuff on HD Theater!) on a Toshiba CRT TV, decent TV but hardly HD... but it worked.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006

that makes sense. So, Im in the process of getting a monitor to wacth blu-ray in true 1080p. If a HDTV is listed as capable of 1080p, do I need to worry about anything?

Are all 1080p HDTVs HDCP?

JeffDeWitt

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
No, I don't believe all 1080p HDTV's are HDCP but newer ones should be.

HDCP is just another lame anti piracy scheme that causes more trouble for honest consumers than it does for the real crooks but if you have a choice between an HDCP compliant TV and one that isn't I'd go for the complaint one.

Solution