Sign in with
Your question

Need help choosing mid range sound card

Last response: in Components
October 9, 2011 5:02:29 PM

Hello, i am purchasing a set of corasir sp2200 2.1 speakers and a corsair hs1a headset, and i am confused about what sort of sound card i should get to complement these. My hifi has just packed up and i would like something that can provide decent music and sound for games. I have a 2500k and a p67 ud4 b3 rev (gigabyte). Would appreciate any suggestions or advice on how to begin choosing a sound card.
October 9, 2011 5:04:41 PM

Intel or AMD? And for which socket processors?

Motherboards aren't universal. The way to do it is to select a price range for a CPU, find the best CPU in that price range, and then look for a $100 mobo that it fits into correctly
October 9, 2011 5:35:13 PM

Depends on how much you want to spend.
Asus and Auzentech offer quality cards with great price/performance ratios.
You could spend as little as $30 for an Asus DG or $200 for high-end cards.
$100 will get you a very nice card these days.
Related resources
October 9, 2011 6:06:13 PM

As stated i already have a 'intel' 2500k and p67 mobo. Its a sound card im looking for.

Im in england so prices a little different, but i have seen good reviews for asus xonar ds, ideally i want to spend under 50 pounds.
October 9, 2011 6:44:14 PM

Ok cool. Sorry if this sounds stupid but will i notice an obvious performance over the on board sound, with both the speakers that i suggested and the headphones.
October 9, 2011 6:45:41 PM

Why don't you wait, and see how your new speakers sound using the motherboard integrated HD sound?

You can always get a sound card later.
October 9, 2011 7:01:35 PM

Good point, sounds so simple but i didnt think of it lol. The speakers im using are some 17 pounds 2.1 logitech speakers, and for the money their good but i am hoping the sp2200s are going to be alot better.

Maybe thats what i will do, get the headphones and speakers then see from there. But i do know what im like and will keep thinking about card till i get one.
!