Intel 2200BG mini PCI upgrade from 2100

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 2, 2005 10:43:37 AM

My wife has a Samsung X05 with the 'Centrino' Intel PRO/WIRELESS LAN
2100 3B Mini PCI Adaptor. I've had the cover off the Mini PCI bay and
note that it has 2 antennae wires and was manufactured in 2003. I have
been told by an IT bod that these Centrinos are now showing their age.

Reception is patchy to say the least though my Jornada 720 and Cisco
340 are ace.

I have also noticed that my wife never switches the wireless device off
even when she is at work (where there is no connection) ... does that
'wear it out'?

Anyway I have seen an Intel PRO 2200BG mini PCI at a reasonable price
that is known to be compatible with the Samsung X10. Our router at home
is a Belkin 'B' 11mbs and would ask those who are more
knowledgeable than me (i.e most of you)

1. Will it be compatible with my wife's X05?
2. Is it worth buying in terms of better reception, less drop out etc?
(apart from being compatible with G 54 mbs routers)

Sorry if they sound dumb questions, I am 95% sure the answers are going
to be Yes to both questions but any help appreciated (as always)

Also Any problems/tips on fitting it.

Regards
John
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 2, 2005 2:50:14 PM

Thanks for that, I had been doing a google trawl and there seems to be
a body of opinion suggesting that Intel mini pci's are not the favoured
option.

So I suppose I should then have asked in my posting what devices are
preferable.

Regards
John
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 2, 2005 4:37:05 PM

zacnici wrote:

>My wife has a Samsung X05 with the 'Centrino' Intel PRO/WIRELESS LAN
>2100 3B Mini PCI Adaptor. I've had the cover off the Mini PCI bay and
>note that it has 2 antennae wires and was manufactured in 2003. I have
>been told by an IT bod that these Centrinos are now showing their age.
>
>Reception is patchy to say the least though my Jornada 720 and Cisco
>340 are ace.
>
>I have also noticed that my wife never switches the wireless device off
>even when she is at work (where there is no connection) ... does that
>'wear it out'?
>
>Anyway I have seen an Intel PRO 2200BG mini PCI at a reasonable price
>that is known to be compatible with the Samsung X10. Our router at home
>is a Belkin 'B' 11mbs and would ask those who are more
>knowledgeable than me (i.e most of you)
>
>1. Will it be compatible with my wife's X05?
>2. Is it worth buying in terms of better reception, less drop out etc?
>(apart from being compatible with G 54 mbs routers)
>
>Sorry if they sound dumb questions, I am 95% sure the answers are going
>to be Yes to both questions but any help appreciated (as always)
>
>Also Any problems/tips on fitting it.
>
>Regards
>John

The Intel 2200BG and the Intel 2915ABG (same device drivers) have a
problem with the signal strength setting. Each time you log on, restart
the computer, etc., you must reset the transmit power settings. It does
not appear that Intel intends to fix this problem. They just came out
with new drivers yesterday and the new drivers have the same problem.

I'd use some other device.

Any mini-pci device should work with your 802.11b system.

If you plan on upgrading your router any time soon, I would look for a
device that supports WPA. Also, if you can find one that supports WPA2
(AES) encryption, that is also a plus.

The Intel 2200BG and 2915ABG do support WPA2, but again, they have
problems with the drivers.

Since your wife's computer has two antenna's, hers may support bg+a. But
802.11a is not very widely used.
!