Using WD LIVE PLus for Netfliz out of US

G

I am able to access Netflix from Mexico using a vpn. I recently bought a WD LIVE PLus and need to find a way to access the internet thru a vpn which is not supported by WD. I know other people have done it through a software upgrade but it's globbledygook to me.

schm1tty

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
You can create a router to router VPN rather than using a router to client vpn, that way your entire local network will be on the vpn and not just single devices. We have 3 vpn's at our offices and they once they are setup they work great.

G

Thanks so much! But, being a virtual newbie in routing, I don't know how to set up a router for vpn; can you send me a resource to set one up?

schm1tty

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
If I knew any I would send them, lol

I'll see if I can explain how ours work here though...ok...so *breathes in*

We use the same model of routers between our locations(Netgear FVS318) and the model that we use supports vpn connections. In the router setup there is a vpn wizard that guides you through the connection. All the setup needs is you to name the vpn, give it a password, and tell the router where the other end of the vpn is(ip address of the other location of the vpn or the web address of it). Now, we have static ip addresses at our locations here so once I named the vpn, made the password, and directed the routers to each other using our static ip's, they connected just fine. BUT....since you are probably not using a business account for your internet I doubt that you would have access to a static ip address, and thats where a great little service called dyndns.com comes into play.

Dyndns.com is an awesome free service that is great if you need to connect to your home network but you don't have a static ip address from your isp. The service works with my router and my router sends my external ip address(given to my home by my isp, and isp's use dhcp so it is always changing) to my dnydns.com account.

Now when you make a dyndns.com account you get to choose make a free domain name, for example www.xxxxxx.dyndns-remote.com, and since the router is constantly sending your updated ip address to your dyndns.com account, you can type in the website that was created by dyndns.com to connect to your vpn instead of a ip when creating the vpn.

Now, my router has a specific place in the setup that allows me to connect to my dyndns.com account so it will forward my ip address as it changes, I think that there is a desktop client that can send the info as well.

Also, you would need to create 2 domains, one for each location, and probably 2 dyndns.com accounts so you can forward the ip addresses of both locations to domain names at the same time.

I know that this is a lot of info to go through, but I was very excited when I got it setup and working and it was fun trying to figure it all out.

And I hope that everything makes sense!