Visual problems due to power supply, NEED HELP

G

I've been experiencing weird visuals on my monitor. And I noticed it's being caused by the power supply. For example, a blow dryer goes on, and when I'm on a black screen i see white lines slowly moving down my screen(wide lines, not too bright but enough to have me concerned). Also I cannot even plug in my computer through my surge protector because it will keep shutting off making a beeping noise. I plan on buying a bigger power supply because I'm going to get a better graphics card. Is there anything (by computer means) that I could so that this won't happen?

G

well, actually its more along the lines of im not getting enough power to my computer. im sorry if this isnt a total pc question, but is there anything i can do or do i have to move my whole computer? (my house was built in 56 so a lot of electrical is pretty old) I had the same problem at my old house too and it got annoying.

popatim

Titan
Electric motors create alot of EMI and RFI. I beleive the hairdrier is backfeeding into the house wiring and entering your pc; though it could also be coming in from a poorly shielded monitor cable. Also being old wiring you probably dont have a ground wire run to your outlets which is another problem and probably would render any EMI/RFI protection useless. (they need the ground wire typically)

If it were a lack of power issue your pc would just die I would think.
What happens with your PC when the refrigerator kicks on?

G

Really when any major appliance turns on i'll see it through my screen. But I'm just worried about when I get a newer graphics card, which will be running on a 800-900w supply..... right now I only have a 400w.

Im pretty sure I'm just going to call an electrician, just don't want to fork over a ton of money for something that could have been handled easily.

popatim

Titan
Yes I was going to suggest that if you confirmed the lack of a ground wire. Years ago when I lived in an old farmhouse all the outlets had 2 wire outlets (cloth wrapped wire no less) and I had an electrician rewire the kitchen and two dedicated lines for the pc's. Fixed up a problem I had been having with downloads getting crc errors (over dialup back then LOL)

G

what was the price of that? and I'm going to get some more information on it first before I do anything since it's not my house