Your question

Strange screen artifacts

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 1, 2011 4:55:46 PM

Hey guys!

I have a pretty weird problem here. This usually happens within chrome, but it sometimes does this while looking at my desktop.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Screen

My current system:
Processor: Phenom II x4 B55
Graphics Card: HD4850 512MB
RAM: 4GB 800 MHz DDR2
PSU: Corsair TX850

More about : strange screen artifacts

a c 147 U Graphics card
May 1, 2011 5:41:27 PM

did you overclock your card?
May 1, 2011 5:43:42 PM

renz496 said:
did you overclock your card?

I tried once and it went like that for about 15 mins. It has been on stock since then.
Related resources
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 1, 2011 5:45:43 PM

Turn up your fan speed and drop the clocks slightly, if nothing happens then look to drivers. This does look to be hardware related issue more than software. We can rule out hardware very quickly if games are stable without these artifacts.
a c 147 U Graphics card
May 1, 2011 5:46:26 PM

Aerius66 said:
I tried once and it went like that for about 15 mins. It has been on stock since then.

so that's mean your previous overclock made your screen like that? did you overclock your card via over drive?
May 1, 2011 5:50:12 PM

nforce4max said:
Turn up your fan speed and drop the clocks slightly, if nothing happens then look to drivers. This does look to be hardware related issue more than software. We can rule out hardware very quickly if games are stable without these artifacts.

Games are fine. No artifacts whatsoever. I'll try turning up my fan speeds.

renz496 said:
so that's mean your previous overclock made your screen like that? did you overclock your card via over drive?

I think I used ATItool back then or ATT. I don't know if that overclock did this or not

This is not permanent, these artifacts just appear and vanish as soon as I refresh my desktop or scroll away on a web page in chrome.
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 1, 2011 5:54:29 PM

Test the vram for errors, yes there is a utility out there just like memtest. Beyond that wipe the drivers and use a clean installer. Is chrome up to date along with java and adobe flash?
a c 147 U Graphics card
May 1, 2011 5:56:49 PM

i think the artifact caused by unstable overclock. if you still want to overclock your card then you have to do it slowly. you can use software such as furmark to test overclock stability
May 1, 2011 5:56:50 PM

nforce4max said:
Test the vram for errors, yes there is a utility out there just like memtest. Beyond that wipe the drivers and use a clean installer. Is chrome up to date along with java and adobe flash?

All those things up to date, also I just did a clean windows install about 4 days ago. I'll try that utility if I can find it.

renz496 said:
i think the artifact caused by unstable overclock. if you still want to overclock your card then you have to do it slowly. you can use software such as furmark to test overclock stability

I don't want to OC my card, just tried it once. I'll buy a new card as soon as I have the money, but I don't want to look at these artifacts nearly all the time while browsing : \.
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 1, 2011 6:00:57 PM

Clean the card and inspect it for any problems. Check to see any of the vram modules are making proper contact with the thermal pads. Just look under the cooler no need to remove it. Compressed air will remove the fluff in the cooler.
May 1, 2011 6:05:20 PM

nforce4max said:
Clean the card and inspect it for any problems. Check to see any of the vram modules are making proper contact with the thermal pads. Just look under the cooler no need to remove it. Compressed air will remove the fluff in the cooler.

Wow, haven't thought of that. I'll do that later, but now I can't really find this VRAM tester.

EDIT: found something, http://majorgeeks.com/Video_Memory_Stress_Test__d5896.h...
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 1, 2011 6:08:08 PM

I know it exists but finding isn't easy but put that out there as an option. :s
!