Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Graphic Card 1st Monitor and Sandy Bridge IGD 2nd Monitor?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 2, 2012 6:36:13 PM

Does anyone know if this Biostar Z68 Motherboard: http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/introduction.ph... allows the use of the on-board graphics and a discrete card to be active at the same time? The CPU is an Intel i3-2100 and the card is an HD 6850.

My idea was to run a utility monitor off the integrated DVI port while running a main monitor off the discrete card's DVI port. I realize the HD 6850 will support a 2nd monitor itself, but I was just thinking this would (1) make use of the otherwise unused CPU's graphics source and (2) not add any slowdown to the HD 6850.

I haven't played around in BIOS yet with the IGD/PEG/etc combinations. I thought I'd ask first.
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 2, 2012 7:50:58 PM

... allows the use of the on-board graphics and a discrete

card to be active at the same time?

Yes.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 2, 2012 7:52:18 PM

That's the idea to use -> Graphics technology found in an integrated GPU, an Intel Sandy Bridge CPU or on a discrete 3D graphics card have a variety of different, yet inportant, graphics, media, gaming and power saving benefits.

In comes Virtu, the first GPU virtualization software that makes it all accessible and eliminates the need to choose.
Score
Related resources
July 2, 2012 8:10:38 PM

Thank you for your quick reply. So... I have to use a 3rd party software to accomplish this?

Right now, I have my main monitor connected to my graphic card, and my 2nd monitor connected to the HDMI on-board. I end up with an extended desktop with my 1st monitor as the main monitor. But I can't get duplicate displays on both monitors.

I wanted to have both screens display the same desktop, so when gaming on the main monitor, I could have the desktop displayed on the 2nd monitor. Then I could 'hot-key' between active monitors. My friend does this with his, but he has both monitors connected to his graphics card. I guess I can do it his way, but I wanted to make use of the CPU's graphics.
Score

Best solution

a c 328 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 2, 2012 8:26:33 PM

What u want, is to use the GPU card. Its better and problem free.
July 2, 2012 8:29:54 PM

nikorr said:
What u want, is to use the GPU card. Its better and problem free.

OK. I was afraid the 2nd monitor would cut into the frame rate available when gaming if it had to use some of the resources of the card. Thanks. I think I'll probably have to go that route, then.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 2, 2012 8:35:27 PM

And your GPU will be able to mirror the screen : )

To get u the duplicate displays on both monitors.
Score
a c 75 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 9:57:58 PM

The Z68 chipset is our first chipset that doesm't automatically disable the IGP or on board graphics the moment that you add in a dedicated video card. You most likely would be able to support up to 3 displays (2 from the card and 1 other from the processor/board).
Score
July 3, 2012 12:37:35 AM

IntelEnthusiast said:
The Z68 chipset is our first chipset that doesm't automatically disable the IGP or on board graphics the moment that you add in a dedicated video card. You most likely would be able to support up to 3 displays (2 from the card and 1 other from the processor/board).

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I noticed while snooping around in BIOS that the IGP could be made active even with PEG installed and in use. It kind of surprised me that it had that option, so I had to give it a try. It works great, but Win7 doesn't have an option to mirror the same display on both screens. At least none I've found. So, I'll probably just do as Nikorr suggested and use the HD 6850's 2 DVI ouputs... and hope it doesn't cut down on my frame rates too much.
Score
July 11, 2012 2:30:21 PM

Best answer selected by box o rocks.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 11, 2012 2:51:11 PM

Good luck!
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card