Sign in with
Your question

6990 low fps nothing helps..please help!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 1, 2011 7:16:54 PM

I recently picked up the HIS 6990,msi 890fxa-gd65 mother board,8gig corsair ddr3 memory,900w antec power supply,amd phenom 2 black edition and a 650gig hard drive 6mb...This was all a brand new build my temps are good but i get low frame rates even if i drop settings to medium.I enable msaa in catalyst control center and see no difference at all in games.Crysis warhead always dips in the 20's just about everytime im in a gun battle and arma 2 runs the benchmark at 31fps at recommended settings...so i dont get it i spent 1600 on this build everything brand new and games are running like crap i mean,they look great maxed out but the low fps is pissing me off some help would be greatly appreciated...ive got win 7 64 bit and ive got the preview drivers for my vid card..

More about : 6990 low fps helps

May 1, 2011 7:23:24 PM

Also i dont run eyefin or any crazy resolutions i have a 1080p hdtv in pc mode that i use as a monitor,most of the time i dont even game at 1080p ill drop the res down anyway..
m
l
Related resources
May 2, 2011 2:04:50 AM

Have you tried any other drivers aside from the newest beta ones? In my experience, 9 times out of 10, issues with game framerates are caused by driver problems. The other 1 time out of 10 is usually a major pain in the keister... You should definitely get better fps than that. I'm running crossfire 6950s and you should be getting framerates that aren't too far away from mine. I would recommend installing MSI afterburner and gpu z. as ko888 said, post your gpu z info. You can also check your MSI afterburner to check for a variety of issues. For example, if gpu 1 is running, but gpu 2 is not, that will tell you something. The program will also tell you if your temps are too high, etc. I would start by changing your drivers, though. Also (I have no idea if you have to do this with a dual gpu card), you may have to turn on xfire for both gpu cores on the card to work (I have no idea if this is true, but it would be worth checking in the CCC)...
m
l
May 2, 2011 3:20:47 AM

Thanks allot man i really appreciate the reply ill give all that stuff a try and ill post my gpu z info pretty soon...
m
l
May 2, 2011 3:44:13 AM

Well i ran afterburner and it shows gpu0 is running while gpu1 is highlighted its not displaying any info.The other two slots for gpu's are gray.But doesn't the second gpu only kick on for gaming??
m
l
November 13, 2011 10:40:58 PM

OK, I am bumping this thread because I am having a really similar problem, and it seems that the issue wasn't resolved in the thread.

I'd say I am close to contacting customer support, but I'd rather fix it by myself if I am able to.

Some games run really well on my upgraded system, which also boasts a Radeon HD 6990. For instance, it seems that Battlefield: Bad Company 2 will usually run anywhere between 100 and 200 FPS, and Mass Effect 2 hits 60 FPS, which I think is the Unreal Engine cap, so I don't think it's supposed to go anywhere above that.

Those work okay. But other games, like Borderlands run like crap. Borderlands tends to oscillate between some 50 FPS and 15 FPS - that is way lower than what it should perform, and my previous NVIDIA 8800 GTS 512 ran the game better than that.

I have 16 GBs of RAM, and a processor that clocks in at 3.40GHz. I assume the problem is in the graphics card.

So what could be the issue here? Does it have to do with the drivers? Are some games just unable to perform well with 2 GPUs working at the same time? It feels like some games are prepared for this and some aren't. If so, what can I do about this? Per contra, if not, what could be the issue?

Also I've been having an even bigger problem with GTA IV on my computer. Prior to me installing some profiling .exe from AMD (which I guess specifically sets graphics card attributes to specific games) the game told me that only about 200 MB of my 4GBs of memory (I assume that was from the graphics card not the RAM, since I have more RAM than that) were available, while all the settings were set to minimum.

Ever since I installed that profiling .exe every time I start up the game I've been getting a blue screen. Seriously, every time. I have a 900W supply, could the blue screen be related to this not being enough? I really don't know, I'm just guessing.

I guess I should also mention Crysis always used to run at some 18 FPS independently of the graphics quality, but ever since I've installed that .exe it seems to be running fine, seemingly oscillating between 40 FPS and 80 - but it has crashed on me once, and I guess if it has happened once it can happen again (yes, the game is fully patched). Or maybe I was just running the 64 bit mode - I tried to start that up and it still runs at a bad framerate.

So that .exe seems to be really important, which is why I can't understand it didn't come with the driver/software disk. It can be found here available for download: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win... - it's the "ATI Catalyst Application Profiles" one.

Thanks in advance to whoever may reply.
m
l
November 14, 2011 5:05:07 PM

Hey Snail this link should help you out with your gta problem

http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/20069778-issue...

I have a amd x4 970 BE it was 3.50 Ghz stock and the problem with us is our systems are bottleneck by our processes.3.50 Ghz just isnt enough to feed our monster video cards.

Im not into overclocking however i have a msi mother board with the oc genie light feature and was able to oc just by enabling the feature in my bios.I instantly saw an increase in frames across all games.OC genie just effects your processor and ram so your video card will still be running stock..Games like crysis ran pretty crappy dipping down in the 20's just about every time i got into a fire fight,im between 40 and 60fps now that my cpu is 4.20 GHz

Battlefield 3 never dips below 40fps and can hit as high as 95fps totally maxed out in multiplayer.However GTA4 icenhancer runs bad 23fps on average 15 the lowest 45 the highest,it does look awesome and its still very playable.I also had the video memory issue you did however the link i provided you solved my problems

My suggestion get a better cpu or overclock the one you have now.Some games are made to support crossfire while others are not and will give you problems,just make sure you have the latest drivers,that's about all you can do good luck dude
m
l
November 14, 2011 9:39:03 PM

RosevilleReaper said:
Hey Snail this link should help you out with your gta problem

http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/20069778-issue...

I have a amd x4 970 BE it was 3.50 Ghz stock and the problem with us is our systems are bottleneck by our processes.3.50 Ghz just isnt enough to feed our monster video cards.

Im not into overclocking however i have a msi mother board with the oc genie light feature and was able to oc just by enabling the feature in my bios.I instantly saw an increase in frames across all games.OC genie just effects your processor and ram so your video card will still be running stock..Games like crysis ran pretty crappy dipping down in the 20's just about every time i got into a fire fight,im between 40 and 60fps now that my cpu is 4.20 GHz

Battlefield 3 never dips below 40fps and can hit as high as 95fps totally maxed out in multiplayer.However GTA4 icenhancer runs bad 23fps on average 15 the lowest 45 the highest,it does look awesome and its still very playable.I also had the video memory issue you did however the link i provided you solved my problems

My suggestion get a better cpu or overclock the one you have now.

Thanks! I'll give the workaround presented in that link a try, as well as overclocking.

So you're 100% sure that was it? The CPU was acting as a bottleneck? I think maybe you still have some other underlying problem, since mine clocks in at 3.40GHz, as opposed to your 4.20GHz and I can run Crysis between 40 FPS and some 90 FPS. Maybe it's because you have insufficient RAM? Like I said, I have 16 Gigs, how about you?

RosevilleReaper said:
Some games are made to support crossfire while others are not and will give you problems,just make sure you have the latest drivers,that's about all you can do good luck dude

Woah, wait. You're seriously telling me I spent heaps of money on a graphics card that won't even work on all games? How does that even make sense? If this is really the case I might just return it to ASUS if I can. I think you might be wrong there, the Catalyst Control Center doesn't even detect the 2 GPUs of this graphics card as "Crossfire" - like you'd expect, it treats it as a singular graphics card, not two. I don't think you can't manually deactivate either of the GPUs on the CCC either so there's not really anything Crossfir-y about it. It's just one graphics card with more memory right? Maybe games like those you're referring to are prepared for something like this, just not two separate graphics cards. Or maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks for your response, and please reply!

EDIT: Yeah it seems you're wrong about the CPU bottlenecking the HD 6990, at least according to the pretty much unanimous consensus that was achieved in this thread: vhttp://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=216248 Maybe it's your power supply or RAM? According to those forums, an i5 2500K would be enough for an AMD Radeon HD 6990.
m
l
November 15, 2011 2:02:20 AM

You payed the extra money to have crossfire on a single GPU so down the road you could have quad gpu's in your system and only take up two slots?But after seeing the heat this thing generates as well as the noise i don't think ill be doing that.

As far as my system i have 8gb of ram and a 900w power supply so i think im good there.In regards to the crossfire thing yes this card still acts the same as having two video cards in your system so if a game does not play nice with crossfire your S.O.L unless a driver comes out that disables crossfire in that particular game.As far as i know crossfire can be disabled for those running two video cards,however in our case we cant turn it off because were on a single vid card.The 5970 is the same way to

That link you provided was a bunch of Intel fan boys that blew all their money on a overpriced cpu and skimped on video.None of those guys actually had a 6990 so how the hell would they even know?Sure their a little better than amd processors but at a much higher price point.In my opinion not worth it.Overclock or buy a bulldozer and let me know how it works out for you..
m
l
November 15, 2011 2:03:51 AM

and when you get 90fps in crysis are you looking up at the sky lol?
m
l
May 12, 2012 1:38:37 AM

Turns out it was the power supply. I changed it a Corsair TX850 and it seems to work as it should now.
m
l
March 23, 2013 11:20:21 PM

So..odd problem here. I had the low frame rates..updated from 12.3 to 13.1 ..solved the frame rates but now I have no options for disabling crossfire in the catalyst control. According to GPU-Z they are sharing loads when I play games and the other card IS working. But for some reason I got no options to disable wether as a whole or individual profiles..tis wierd.
m
l
!