What to look for in a monitor?

chacol

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Sorry, didn't know where to post this thread.

I'm building a new gaming rig and I'm completely clueless on what to look for in a monitor. I know I want the resolution to be at least 1920x1080. I'm looking at a 23" screen right now, but I don't know what is enough for gaming.

Also what are some recommended brands? I'm most likely going to purchase my monitor from MicroCenter and they have some brands that I do not see very common.

Here is the list that I was browsing through: Monitors

rvilkman

Distinguished
For gaming you are generally looking for something with fast response times something around 2ms would be ideal.

Having LED backlight usually lowers the power consumption of the monitor, so that is usually preferred.

And you want the monitor to have DVI or HDMI connection.

As for brands, Samsung is good, but also expensive. I have had good experiences with them also with their warranty system.
This does not mean that other brands wouldn't be good, or that samsung wouldn't have some lemons in their lineup of displays.

Generally I would say that if you have a chance to go see the monitors in action at the store, go take a look and then choose which feels right for you.

4745454b

Titan
In addition, I would consider getting a monitor that has a Display Port (DP) on it. Don't pay extra for it, but if you're considering a couple of them and one has it, get that one. Contrast ratios are pretty much a junk stat now. You'll see all kinds of numbers tossed around. I honestly wouldn't put any faith in contrast ratios or amount of colors that the screen can show. Brightness might be a consideration. If it's going to be used in a bright area you might need a brighter screen. (Matte or gloss might also come into play here. Its a personal choice so I don't usually mention it.)

2ms is great, but most of us can use 5ms without issue.