What are "Matrox" Drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exciter

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
I recently used a program called DriverMax to update some of my drivers. One of the drivers that was out of date was a collection of chipset drivers called "Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port". I updated it, and it is now called "PCI standard PCI-PCI bridge (Matrox Filtered)" under Device Manager. Is it normal for a driver to just change names like that? Should I be concerned about this, because I've never heard of "Matrox"?

Here's the link: http://www.drivermax.com/driver/driver-best.php?drivermax_version=6.34&hmd5=04cddcb698beb56246685a8e505247f9&winver=6.1.1.768&winarch=X64&signed=N&rec=b6294a48aad6ba89f2087fcfbe6d22a6&hid0=PCI%2BVEN_8086%26DEV_3B4A%26SUBSYS_1693103C%26REV_05%2B6.1%2B64&driver=Intel%28R%29+5+Series%2F3400+Series+Chipset+Family+PCI+Express+Root+Port+5+-+3B4A

Solution
You do not need the driver and it does not pertain to you and your configuration. IF you installed that driver assuming there's no malware then it didn't change anything and now you have Matrox Graphics driver as part of the drivers library.

exciter

Distinguished
May 19, 2011

When I ran the intel update utility it said that all my drivers are up to date. What does Intel Matrix Storage Technology have to do with my PCI drivers?

You asked what is the Intel® Matrix and as matrix is part of the Chipset so are the 'PCI Express Root Ports' part of the Chipset and the 'host bridge' which allows the PCI ports to communicate with the rest of the computer and connected devices.

If you open your Device Manager and expand the [+] System devices tree you'll see them listed.

If your devices are up-to-date then you're done and there's nothing to change from Intel's perspective.

exciter

Distinguished
May 19, 2011

No, not "Matrix", "Matrox". The device driver is now called "PCI standard PCI-PCI bridge (Matrox Filtered)" If you click the link on my original post you can see for yourself.

Q - What MOBO?
Q - What CPU?
Q - What GPU?

The only 'Matrox' drivers that I know of are for GPUs ; see - http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/ and if indeed then use that OEM link.

The link you have posted is for "PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge (Matrox Filtered) by Matrox Graphics Inc."

exciter

Distinguished
May 19, 2011

My gpu and cpu are both intel, I have no Matrox-based hardware at all.

Cpu: Intel core i3 m370 2.40ghz
Gpu: Intel hd graphics 1.7 GB

In the link for the driver it says:

PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge (Matrox Filtered) by Matrox Graphics Inc.
compatible with
Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 - 3B4A

What does it mean "compatible with". My device driver was called "Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 - 3B4A", but updated to "PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge (Matrox Filtered)". Do you think I should rollback to the drivers I had before?

You do not need the driver and it does not pertain to you and your configuration. IF you installed that driver assuming there's no malware then it didn't change anything and now you have Matrox Graphics driver as part of the drivers library.

Solution

exciter

Distinguished
May 19, 2011

Seeing as I have no Matrox hardware, I think I'll just roll back to the intel version. This driver name change is making me nervous, thanks.

That's fine as well, but I would opt for System Restore (before Matrox) if you really want it all gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.