Sign in with
Your question

Trying to possibly piece together a new build

Last response: in Systems
July 13, 2011 4:45:56 AM

So I have come to realize I need to brush up on my Windows skills + Visual Studio, I primarily use os x. Therefore I am looking to build a new desktop. I did a build back in 2007 as a learning experience primarily.

So I still have this mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and this graphics card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm wondering if using those two components is even worth it. Would I even be able to upgrade the cpu and/or ram (currently 2gb)? Can I use that graphics card on newer mobos + cpu combos.

I will primarily be doing light use, maybe a game occasionally, and some moderate video editing, and mainly development/coding. I would also want to do dual screens at some point.

With all that said, my question comes down to, is the money I would be saving by using these two components and upgrading the other components even worth it/possible? I'm kind of on a budget < $400ish. Any advice, or 'if I was you' comments would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

More about : possibly piece build

July 13, 2011 6:41:46 AM

The graphics card can be used on new boards, but is incredibly underpowered by today's standards. Fine if you just need a windows GPU, and should do dual monitors.

You might find an AM2 CPU somewhere that would fit the board, but again you have a outdated board and the matching CPU will be poor by today's standards. Plus you will pay extra for DDR2 RAM... about $10-20 more than similar DDR3.

Do you have a case? OS?

A $400 box that will do what you need is possible, but perhaps not with an OS.

This build gets you a modern board with USB 3 and SATA 6GB/s... very upgradeable, and a quad core processor. The PSU is adequate quality and will power a moderate GPU upgrade should you want later, but not a big GPU upgrade. This includes everything except an optical drive, including an OS.

• Xigmatek ASGARD II B/B CPC-T45UC-U01 Black / Black 0.8 mm SECC / Aluminum and Aluminum Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer ...
  • SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  • Rosewill Green Series RG430-S12 430W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core ...
  • G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
  • AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX
  • MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    TOTAL: $441.93
    m
    l
    July 14, 2011 3:06:26 AM

How will I know if the graphics card is compatible with a particular mobo? It uses a pci express x16 correct?
    m
    l
    July 14, 2011 8:30:50 AM

It's a PCI-E card and will fit in any PCI-E slot. Version numbers and such are not important to compatibility.
    m
    l
    !