Sign in with
Your question

Looking for 3 monitor advice

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 1, 2011 11:22:42 PM

I just put together a new machine for my Wife's CAD system. Video card is an EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card. She would like to have two exact same size LCDs (let's assume 21" wide screens) for here day to day works stuff. But would also like to have a 46" LCD/TV of some variety to show off her kitchen designs when customers show up.

With the current video card is this possible some way? Or do I need to purchase another video card? (the MB does have the capacity to add a second card if needed for SLI)

More about : monitor advice

a c 376 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 2, 2011 12:18:25 AM

Does the motherboard have onboard graphics? If so you may be able to use that to power a third screen.
m
l
Related resources
May 2, 2011 3:18:45 PM

Unfortunately, no graphics built into the MB. Asus M4A79XTD EVO.

So geofelt, you don't believe the 2nd card need be as powerful? Can you explain why please? (not discounting what you are saying, just wanting to understand why) Thanks.
m
l
a c 263 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 2, 2011 3:30:19 PM

FlashX said:
Unfortunately, no graphics built into the MB. Asus M4A79XTD EVO.

So geofelt, you don't believe the 2nd card need be as powerful? Can you explain why please? (not discounting what you are saying, just wanting to understand why) Thanks.

The need for a powerful graphics card is to be able to quickly render fast action, like first person shooters. Playing a movie is a relatively low resource task. Displaying e-mail or performance monitors is equally low resource. Just get a card with a HDMI output.

I use two 2560 x 1600 monitors. At one time, I had a 5870 which drove both. I bought a 3450 to drive the non gaming monitor, thinking that it would allow the 5870 to use all of the resources for gaming on one monitor. It worked fine from a performance standpoint,although the difference in performance was minimal. I was not to satisfied with the color quality of the 3450, so I abandoned that approach when I got a single GTX580.

For what it is worth, I think two monitors is one of the best upgrades you can make. In your case, three is even better.
If you are at all concerned, get an EVGA card. They have a 90 day upgrade plan where you can get your money back , trading it in for a stronger card.
Go to the EVGA web site to find all of the fine print. Get an EVGA unit anyway, their support is good. By getting a second Nvidia card(vs ati), you will be able to drive both with the same driver.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 2, 2011 3:32:04 PM

It doesn't have to be a second gtx 460 if performance isn't a immediate concern. A lower end card will suffice unless the models are rather large to well detailed.
m
l
a c 263 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 2, 2011 3:35:31 PM

I would think attaching the two monitors to the GTX460 and the TV to the aux card would be right.
Other options are possible too.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 2, 2011 3:38:38 PM

geofelt said:
I would think attaching the two monitors to the GTX460 and the TV to the aux card would be right.
Other options are possible too.

Well duh yea :lol: 

A low end card will be enough for the tv.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 2, 2011 6:26:10 PM

The stated purpose of the TV is to show off CAD kitchen designs apparently. If it needs to render CAD designs a low end card may not be enough.
If any single one of the three monitors will not be used for CAD then that one should be attached to a new low end card. If all three need to be able to then you may as well get a second GTX 460 for SLI but make sure the power supply can handle it.
m
l
a c 263 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 2, 2011 11:30:05 PM

jyjjy said:
The stated purpose of the TV is to show off CAD kitchen designs apparently. If it needs to render CAD designs a low end card may not be enough.
If any single one of the three monitors will not be used for CAD then that one should be attached to a new low end card. If all three need to be able to then you may as well get a second GTX 460 for SLI but make sure the power supply can handle it.

More expensive graphics cards differ in how fast they can redisplay changing images, not in the quality of what they display. I don't think a static display of a design would be any problem for a low end card.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 3, 2011 12:07:26 AM

geofelt said:
More expensive graphics cards differ in how fast they can redisplay changing images, not in the quality of what they display. I don't think a static display of a design would be any problem for a low end card.

If they are only stills then a low end card will have no problem. I used to run cad and arcmap off a slow quadro nvs285 and later 3dsmax off a 2400 and still managed to get decent performance but they were not large models. Building the models will obviously require a more powerful card if the models are large and well detail.
m
l
!